Need to learn the down and dirty basics of Linux

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Ganther, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Ganther

Ganther New Member

Ok, I have been working with Windows based machines since windows first came out prior to that it was DOS. I don't want to call my self a newbie but I am when it comes to Linux.

I was running Fedora 7 with Samba as a file server, but getting into web development, I relized I need more of a webserver so I scraped my F7 box and did a fresh install of F8 following falko's howto on Fedora 8 Server Setup: LAMP, Email, DNS, FTP, ISPConfig. I ran into issues left, right and center such as there shouldn't be a space in the fstab

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults,usrquota,grpquota 1 1

this wouldn't allow it to be mounted 2 hrs to figure out "mount -w -o remount /" allows you to edit the /etc/fstab since it was readonly mode.

I took out the space and the usrquota, grpquata and booted fine added those back in minus the space now 8 things fail while loading and it hangs at starting named: cp: cannot remove '/var/named/charoot/etc/localtime:' readonly file system or something like that. I am unable to edit anything I tried entering in as single mode no go.

So I figure I need to get down to the basics and I was wondering if anyone can suggest any websites or books that teach you the basics in commands, file system how to install or uninstall packages all the way up to the advanced stuff.

Any help, suggestions or pointers other than RTFM would be greatly appericated..

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

The space is correct, please don't remove it. / is the root filesystem.
    This book might be interesting: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596009526/

3. Ganther

Ganther New Member

See I need to learn alot, I thought the space may have been a typo. either way re-installed fedora 8 (good practice anyways).

Thanks for the suggestion on the book I will look into it,

Thanks for the reply

4. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

ext3 --> Filesystem format ;)

You'll learn by using it ;)

5. Ganther

Ganther New Member

LOL yup it is the best way to learn got the webserver up and running as well as ISPConfig.

6. rmerts

rmerts New Member

I'd recommend copying and pasting the entire "howto" into MS Word or some other real word processor and then printing it out. I'm sort of in the same boat - lots of experience with Windows - and DOS before that - but limited use of Linux/Unix. I used Falko's howto with no problems and managed to get a working Linux LAMP server up within a day. The ISPCONFIG program is really nice and can help with a lot of the virtual server setups so you don't have to learn all the subtle file edits needed to support some fancy server setups. I did discover one thing completely by accident (with Mandrake/Mandriva, don't know if it applies to Fedora). Sometimes Linux seems to reuse files in partitions if you don't wipe the partition table before install (i.e. I did a reinstall of Mandriva Spring 2007 and had no end of the weirdest problems, wiped the partitions with FDISK from Win98 CD and followed the same reinstall and it worked with no problems). I'm about to reload Fedora 8 on a dual homed system using Fedora 8, ISPCONFIG, SaMBa SWAT and Webmail to replace a rapidly aging NetIntegration box.

Ron