Fedora 8 Server on AMD 690/SB600 Motherboard

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by rmerts, Jan 16, 2008.

1. rmerts

rmerts New Member

I hope this is the proper forum for this. I tried to place it where it seemed to make the most sense.

I am wanting to install Fedora 8 server (based on Falko's "Perfect Server" install how to) on an AMD 690G/SB600 based motherboard (ASUS M2A-VM to be specific) with an Athlon 64 X2 4000+ CPU. Since this is going to be a server I'm not worried about the audio/video issues with running a GUI desktop; I am just wanting to build a fast, stable Linux box - likewise I'm not stuck on using the ASUS model as I have access to ones from Biostar, MSI, Foxconn and others.

Has anyone had any experience building a Linux setup on one of the AMD 690 Chipset motherboards, and if so were there any issues getting it to recognize the hardware components on the motherboard? I'm not going to be using any of the RAID configurations, just a single 200Gb SATA-II HD, Parallel ATA DVD Drive, built in Video, Floppy Drive (why??) and 2Gb of DDR2-800 memory.

Thanks!
    Ron

P.S. Falko, you got any bits-of-wisdom, regardng this endeavor? You seem to be one of the most knowlegable people I have encountered when it comes to Linux - and I'm CERTAIN the other moderators are awsome as well!!!

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I don't have any experience with an ASUS M2A-VM mainboard, but I guess it'll work ok. :)

3. rmerts

rmerts New Member

Going to find out

Well, I'm going to find out :) I have read on some other sites that there are no apparent issues with using the AMD 690/SB600 chipset combo, especially since I am going to use it as a server without the GUI interface of a desktop and sound (I really don't want my server talking to me and playing CDs for music!). I'll post here and let everyone know how it goes and what, if any, tweaking I had to do to make it work. I'm confident that armed with Falko's "How-To" guild for configuring a perfect LAMP server and my hardware experience it should go pretty well.

Ron

4. rmerts

rmerts New Member

AMD 690G/SB600 Motherboard Update

:D
    H/W Configuration:
    ASUS M2A-VM Motherboard
    AMD 690G/SB600 Chipset
    ATi Radeon X1250 Integrated Video
    RealTek Integrated Gigabit Ethernet
    Realtek Integrated 6 Channel Audio (disabled)​
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4000 CPU
    Kingston 1Gb DDR2-800 DIMM
    Intel Pro1000/MT Gigabit Ethernet PCI NIC
    Western Digital 160Gb SATA-II Hard Drive
    Liteon DVD Drive
    Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX Power Supply

S/W Configuration:
    Fedora 8 x86_64 Installation CD (downloaded ISO image)
    ISPConfig 2.2.18
    myPHPAdmin addin for ISPConfig

Comments:
    Checked with the ASUS Website and updated the BIOS from version 1404 that it came with to version 1603 - the latest non-Beta version. Disabled the onboard audio since it's a server and I don't want the audio anyway. I also disabled COM1 since it doesn't come with the cable to use the onboard header and I'm not going to use it if it did.

Everything worked perfectly. I followed Falko's Fedora 8 Server Setup: LAMP, Email, DNS, FTP, ISPConfig (a.k.a. The Perfect Server) setup instructions and everything went off without any problems. The installation was fast and the additional configuration provided by Falko's guide worked perfectly. The only difference I noticed was in step 12. The edit to /usr/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf to allow PLAIN and LOGIN logins was not needed as the file already allowed PLAIN and LOGIN logins. I'd recommend at least verifying the info in the file for each installation to be sure. Even ISPConfig installed exactly as before.

Since the board is an AMD Validated solution I would suspect that this motherboard would work with almost any current release of Linux from Mandriva, Ubuntu, Suse, etc.

Thanks Falko for a GREAT setup guide that's both complete and easy to follow.

Ron

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008