Creating ispconfig user for an existing system user?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by totte_karlsson, Jan 16, 2008.

1. totte_karlsson

totte_karlsson New Member

Hi,
    I have a system user on my system, say john.
    If I try to create a 'john' user in ISPConfig, I get the message

The username is already in use.
    Duplicate Email Address.

Mainly, what I want is to be able to read john's email with ISPConfigs webmail. Is that possible?

thanks
    -totte

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If john is a system user, you should be able to read his emails with webmail. The user has not to be managed by ISPConfig for this.

3. totte_karlsson

totte_karlsson New Member

webmail

Well, I want to use ISPConfigs webmail, Ubeumail(?) to read the system users mail. If I try to login from Ubeuimails login page, I fail, for a system user.

I have tried different combinations of the name, like name, or name@domain.. and so on.

What I'm I missing?

thanks
    -totte

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

If the user was created outside of ISPConfig, this is not possible with the webmail packages for ISPConfig (e.g. Uebimiau) because you must provide the user's email address as the login name, and then the email address is looked up in ISPConfig's database to find the system username. This doesn't work for users created outside of ISPConfig.

5. tensor

tensor New Member

Try Roundcube configured to lookup email to system user mappings in /etc/postfix/virtusertable (remember to fix the persmissons). And add the custom mapping for the system user.