Fedora 8 server HOWTO

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by treble, Jan 13, 2008.

1. treble

treble New Member

I want to follow the Perfect Server Setup for Fedora 8, have the following question:

I do not have a registered Domain Name will the setup be any different, for exemple when naming the server, the HOWTO uses "server1.exemple.com".

For the moment I just want to use it as test server, but would like to set it up as close as possible to to what it would be having an actual registered DN.

This naming issue is confusing me and I do not know how to proceed.

thank you for any help,

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

If it's a test server, you can use server1.example.com. Make sure server1.example.com is listed in /etc/hosts.

As an alternative, you could get a hostname from dyndns.org.

3. treble

treble New Member

lynx

hi,

thank you for the answer on the naming question. I do have a dyndns hostname setup on a firewall, should the server also have a dyndns hostname?

In the tutorial it is suggested installing lynx, wont firefox be sufficient, or should
    I disable the graphical interface and run the server in text mode.

One more question if I may, to install Ispconfig where on the system do I install it ?

thanks again

treble :cool:

4. falko

It's no must.

I don't recommend running a desktop on a server. It'S a security risk and causes additional load.

You can't choose the location. The frontend gets installed in /home/admispconfig, the backend in /root/ispconfig. But the installer does all this for you. :)

5. treble

treble New Member

Fixing errors on my installation!

Hello and good morning,

I am thinking of redoing my installation from scratch! I had F8 originally installed with the desktop software and even though I have now uninstalled that part I think that there may still be left a lot of staff that just confuses me when I look around the system.

Also I may have made some mistakes with the configuring of the Mysql, I wont go into details mostly because I did not take notes of the errors, and would have to try a few things to regenerate the error codes.

Q: Is there a way to backtrack and fix problems without actually reinstalling? C:cool: lean up the previous configuration, passwords, etc. and reconfigure ?

I have also installed ISPconfig, after a couple of failed attempts, it installed and ended with a message that the system was now available to use without rebooting, all well till now but when I try to access it with lynx or another browser from another computer it tells it is unable to connect to foreign host. I am following the instructions on the ISPConfig website, to connect I enter http://server1.exemple.com:81 and tryed https as well.

Accessing the Apache server works, I do not know where to look for the problem with the ISPConfig.

This post does not have any very specific questions, I am sort of reporting on the progress so far.

Thanks for the help on the previous, very silly Qs, for lack of a better word.

If you have the time to say something about what I say in this post, reinstalling, fixing errors, etc, I look forward to reading it.

Thanks again.
    treble

6. falko

You can check the logs in /var/log to find out about errors.

Did you replace server1.example.com with your actual hostname or IP address? What's the output of
    Code:
    netstat -tap
    ?

7. treble

treble New Member

netstat -tap

falko,

here is the output of: netstat -tap

and below are the last few lines of the ISPconfig installation output.

8. falko

ISPConfig isn't running.

What's the output of
    Code:
    df -h
    ?

Does your MySQL root password have any special characters?

9. treble

treble New Member

ispconfig not running?

hi falko,

ISPConfig not running? Yes, and I may know what the problem is:

I encrypted the key. In the installation howto is sugested to say no to the encrypting question, or the server wont start without human interaction.

Can you tell me how to start it anyway? and how to generate a new key?

There are no special characters in the Mysql passwrd, but when I set it up something made me think that perhaps I did not do it right, I entered the password in front of the command instead of waiting to be prompted for it. Might that be the problem?

df -h

[root@server1 ~]# df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
    145G 1.8G 143G 2% /
    /dev/sda1 190M 19M 162M 11% /boot
    tmpfs 474M 0 474M 0% /dev/shm

thank you

treble

10. falko

11. treble

treble New Member

good morning falko,

I was too tired last night to post!

I logged in to mysql, success, and then did: show databases and show DBispconfig and just got a prompt, I am new to using mysql so am not sure that it means that there are no databases or that they are empty.

Doing "/etc/init.d/ispconfig_server start" returns: no such file or directory.

I had already looked around /etc for the ispconfig script but did not find anything.

Note: in the first atempt to install ISPConfig I got a message saying : "the php module coming with ISPConfig does not work well on your system", nevertheless on the second instalation the result output was as I posted earlier: "Otherwise your system is now available without reboot"

thank you

treble

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  12. falko

Seems as if ISPConfig is not installed. Can you post the outputs of
    Code:
    df -h
    Code:
    ls -la /root/ispconfig
    and
    Code:
    ls -la /home/admispconfig
    ?

13. treble

treble New Member

I got here finally

I am getting paranoid, I disconnected from the internet to turn on the server,
    and run the commands you requested and then forgot I was disconnected!!

Jesus Christ!

sorry.

falko, here are the results from running those commands, the first one, of course I already had posted previously and it should be exactly the same.
    Thank you again.

14. falko

That looks ok.
    What's the output of
    Code:
    ls -l /etc/init.d/ispconfig_server
    ?
    I guess if the database is empty you'll have to do a new ISPConfig install. To do this, you must first delete the /root/ispconfig and /home/admispconfig directories as well as the empty ISPConfig database.

15. treble

treble New Member

falko,

below is the output of ls -l /etc/init.d/ispconfig_server.
    I also read some more on howto use mysql and found that there is no ispconfig database.
    And have rm /root/ispconfig and /home/admispconfig.
    So I guess this means I can go ahead and reinstall ISPConfig. I will probably do that tomorow evening. I can't wait to see it installed and runing. But I will post the results as soon as I do.

thanks

16. falko

Yes, that's right.

17. treble

treble New Member

did not yet install

falko,

I did not go through with the installation, I played with it but before I pressed the button, ./setup, I stoped for two reasons:

I first want to troubleshoot a possible hardware problem, and second there is the following

this happened when I first set up mysql, and I have not been able to fix it, any sugestions?

18. falko

What's the output of
    Code:
    hostname -f
    and
    Code:
    hostname
    , and what's in
    Code:
    /etc/hosts
    ?