Fedora 8 server HOWTO

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by treble, Jan 13, 2008.

1. treble

treble New Member

I cannot find a file called HOSTNAME, if there is one, like I have seen in another Linux that I use, how do I set the hostname=server1.exemple.com

I am sure I had done that before and getnameinfo did not fail, the only explanation I can come up with is that it was before I removed the graphical.

thanks

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Did you try the link I posted?

3. treble

treble New Member

I did, did I miss anything, this are the very bizarre results,

and this is /etc/my.cnf

Now I must say something, and perhaps apollogize, but only today occured to me that it might make a huge diference, I am using the live i686 fedora wich I already had. when I read your tutorial I did not pay attention to that part because I already had the CD here. It was, though, bugging me that I could not find the option to install in server mode, so this morning I went back to the first page of your tutorial and realised the diference. I am going to redo the installation with the i386 DVD, even if it does not make any diference wich I doubt. So I will be off for a couple of days redoing everything and then will be back just to say that is all installed and runing!!

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Try
    Code:
    UPDATE user SET Host = 'server1.exemple.com' WHERE Host = 'localhost.localdomain';

5. treble

treble New Member

success

hi,

as promised I would report on reinstallation of ISPConfig.

Well, it installed and is running. I changed to i386 Fedora DVD, instead of the i686 live CD. Wheather because of that, or not, I do not know!

This is still a learning experience for me, and I will be working with it untill I understand how to use it, and other aspects of running a server.

Thank you for your pacience answering all my questions, for the great tutorial and for the opportunity to use ISPConfig. I have also found in other posts many good sources of information.

continue the good work,

treble