The name www.marineexotic.com is already in use by another site or domain.

Discussion in 'General' started by cryptic, Jul 17, 2007.

1. cryptic

cryptic Member

I am trying to create a new site for a new client and I keep receiving this error:

The name www.domain.com is already in use by another site or domain.

The only activity I see in ispconfig.log is:

16.07.2007 - 17:58:24 => DEBUG - The name www.domain.com is already in use by another site or domain.<br><br><br> <a href='../../isp_manager/frame_start.php?'>Next &gt;&gt;</a>
    16.07.2007 - 17:59:27 => DEBUG - The name www.domain.com is already in use by another site or domain.<br><br><br> <a href='../../isp_manager/frame_start.php?'>Next &gt;&gt;</a>

This domain is not listed under /var/www nor is it listed under Vhosts_ispconfig.conf.

I've tried deleting then client and retrying and I'm receiving the same error.

2. chuckl

chuckl New Member

The domain registrar where the domain was registered is probably pointing the domain at a 'placeholder' location. You need to update the domain registrar DNS to point the domain at the Ip of the server where you are creating the domain.

3. cryptic

cryptic Member

That's rather silly.

Is there any way to bypass this?

4. chuckl

chuckl New Member

Assuming that that is the problem, yes. Log on to the domain registrar control panel and edit the DNS entries to point at your server.
    Another possibility is that you already have a site created for that domain on your server.
    If you are simply testing, or need to create a site to start developing/installing, call it www2.mydomain.com, or something similar.

5. cryptic

cryptic Member

Is there any way to remove this check from ISPConfig? I've never seen a web hosting control panel do this.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The above error has nothing to do with DNS. It just means that you added the same domain already to another website and of course you can not add 1 domain to two websites on the same server.

Delete the co-domain from the other website or th other website if www.domain.com is a website, wait a minute and empty the recycle bin.

7. cryptic

cryptic Member

Thanks Till, but unfortunately, this domain does not exist anywhere in ISPConfig. Not even listed as a co-domain.

8. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Did you check all recycle bins in ISPConfig?

9. cryptic

cryptic Member

Yes, there is nothing there.

10. till

Please have a look if the domain exists in the database tables isp_isp_web or isp_isp_domain in the ISPConfig database.

11. cryptic

cryptic Member

Yes, the domain is listed in isp_isp_web, but not in isp_isp_domain.

12. till

This means that there must be a website marineexotic.com. Please use the serach function, to search for the website and then e.g. delete it.

13. cryptic

cryptic Member

Nothing came up in search.

14. cryptic

cryptic Member

Anything else? I really need this fixed ASAP.

15. till

Rename the domain name in the databse to something that does not hurt you, e.g. marineexotic.int and then create the new domain.

16. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

I've had something like that happen to me some time ago.
    The domain in my case did also have it's own DNS settings.
    Because I could not add the domain anymore (error: the domain is allready used by.....) I could also not remove it as it did now show in ISPconfig.

In my case the "bad" domain was causing Bind not to work anymore!

I had to digg deep into the ISPconfig DB, and fix it that way!
    The tables are all linked together in the ISPconfig database, so make 100% sure that you know what you are doing! (make a backup!!!)

Here is the link to my problem: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11798

17. cryptic

cryptic Member

Thanks Till and Edge!

18. Fungyo

Fungyo New Member

I know this is an old thread now but this may still help someone.

I had this problem. I checked all recycle bins, co-domains, site management sections etc, but could not find the domain listed.

I eventually found it listed under the reseller A Records in the DNS Management section. I just deleted it and all was good. Oh and I then deleted it from the recycle bin. Don't forget that recycle bin.

Edit: Actually the problem still exists. I've checked everywhere that I can think of but I still get the same error msg "... is already in use by another site or domain."

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008