External USB HDD

Discussion in 'Technical' started by cfexplorer517, Aug 1, 2005.

1. cfexplorer517

cfexplorer517 New Member

Just wondering if and how I install a external HDD into Debian and be recognized as a partition.

Would I have to do that at setup and such.

Thanks for any help

2. dranieri

dranieri New Member

:) Would like to know that as well and if http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/index.html
    This open source program will work with it. Seems online data backup is a niche with large profit potential
    Could this also be made as a plugin for ISPConfig?

3. dianer

dianer New Member

i'm interested in changing to a larger hard drive on my server and upgrading my processor.....how will i go about doing this without messing up the debian server i've set up?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Changing the processor is no problem under linux, as long as you do not change the mainboard.

To change the Harrdisk you must either

1) reinstall the server with the new harddisk
    2) use the harddisk as separately mounted data partition
    3) or need a good amount of linux knowledge to mount 2 harddisks, copy linux to the new one with correct permissions and make it bootable.

5. dante06

dante06 New Member

external hdd

hey there
    i managed to get my ipod working as an external hdd, but i can't get no other hdds working! any ideas?

greez dante

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Did you format your other hdds (I mean: is there a file system on them) before you connected them to your Linux system?

7. dante06

dante06 New Member

yeah, there is FAT32, same as on my ipod. i could give you the output of dmesg, there is an error, but I can't figure out what it is...
    seems that my usb filesystem recognizes the devices, but I can't find a way to mount them...
    My ipod was found once, and there was "address 2", so i mounted it at sda2. Now it works greatly! but as soon as I want to do that with other usb mass storage devices, it doesn't work, output is: "sda3 (or other numbers, depends what i take in fstab) is not a valid block device"
    strange...