sme server....diff. drive sizes

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by reddog, Feb 26, 2008.

1. reddog

reddog New Member

hey guys, been awhile since i posted here. Hope everyone is well !

i've been playing around with different NAS solutions, and at the moment i have settled on Naslite2-HDD. I'm not totally satisfied with it due to the lack features, specifically the inability to go "live" (securely) when the need arises.

The how-to related to Sme Server specifically states:
    My question is, how does the sme-server handle different size drives? what are the consequences of using different size drives? If i use all the same sized drives (160G x 3), do i have 480gigs of storage, or is it 160 gigs mirrored?

Please educate me!

2. wpwood3

wpwood3 New Member

It depends on which sme version you have

With Qty-3 160GB drives you will get the following:

SME version 7.0 or earlier sets 3 drives as RAID-5 which means 320 GB of storage (160GB for parity)

SME version 7.1 sets 3 drives with 2 in a RAID-1 mirrored array and 1 hot spare so you have 160 GB of storage.

I believe you can use different sized drives but each drive will be formatted the same size as the smallest drive. If you have a 100GB and 2 160GB drives then all must be formatted to 100 GB.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  3. reddog

reddog New Member

thank you for the reply,

so.....if i were to use 3-160 gig drives, and 1-250gig usb drive. Only 160 gigs of the usb drive would be utilized? or does that get treated as a hot spare?

I'm sorry for my ignorance on the subject, i have a hard time grasping the whole raid array, mirrored or not, as well as the different types of raid that can be done........guess i'm off to do some googling:)

thanks again

4. wpwood3

wpwood3 New Member

I doubt you can use a USB drive.