VM of WinXP running through VMWare Server on Linux

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by BTM, May 23, 2007.

1. BTM

BTM New Member

I just followed the tutorial on making your windows machine into a VM with VMWare Converter.

Everything went fine but when I run it in VMWare server on Linux it asks me to activate Windows.

I haven't gotten the bridged connection working yet, but is it likely that the activation will work?

The XP machine was a dell Laptop, and so an OEM version of XP.

Is this likely to fail activation because its running on virtual hardware?

Thanks

Brian

2. Leszek

Leszek Member

Windows wants to get activated because You changed the computer's hardware by putting it on VMware Server.If the connection is configured it can activate but remember that Your system can have only a limited number of activations.
    There are a lot of programs that can help You get passed by Windows activation but by using them You would break the license agreement.

3. peppercorn

peppercorn New Member

Related Question

After this conversion is the copy of XP still available to be run by itself?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You mean the original installation? I'm not sure if MS has a way to check this, so I can't tell. :(

5. peppercorn

peppercorn New Member

VM of WinXP

No,
    I mean if you have a dual boot system with XP and Ubuntu on it. Afterward, will you still be able to boot into XP as before?

6. Lt Dan

Lt Dan New Member

Along this same line, my HP laptop is in the shop, but when I get it back, I want to install Linux on it, but would still like to have access to some of my windows programs. I understand I can make an image file of window xp and partition the drive to install the image into and a virtual drive using VMware. Or that is what I understood from what I was told on another forum. So, would it be better to do it that way or to setup a duel boot system. There is also TinyXP downloadable from the net using utorrent that has all the bloat removed. The problem I'm wondering about with that is being able to install and run run MS Office in TinyXP. I need to be able to use PowerPoint and that's about the only windows program I need because OpenOffice is not always compatible with PP.

7. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff