SAMBA (Domaincontroller) Server for Small Workgroups Windows

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Dingo78, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Dingo78

Dingo78 New Member

Hey All,
    I have run through this entire how to and all was going well untill i got to section 4 and had to test the connection using smbclient -L localhost -U% . THis was my comupters response...

added interface ip=192.168.0.10 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
    Client started (version 3.0.14a-Ubuntu).
    resolve_wins: Attempting wins lookup for name localhost<0x20>
    resolve_wins: using WINS server 127.0.0.1 and tag '*'
    Got a positive name query response from 127.0.0.1 ( 127.0.0.1 )
    Connecting to 127.0.0.1 at port 445
    Domain=[MSHOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.14a-Ubuntu]
    tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Have I missed or mucked something up earlier cause i continued on from here and I can't access the box from windows... I would appreciate any and all help...

Matt

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You executed the command smbclient -L localhost -U% as root user? Do not use sudo.

If yes, please redo these two steps:

Add the root user to the SAMBA password database. The root user (alias: Administrator) will be our domain administrator. This account is needed to add new computers to the SAMBA domain.

smbpasswd -a root

Create the file /etc/samba/smbusers and add the line by executing:

echo "root = Administrator" > /etc/samba/smbusers

and try to query your server again.

3. gometro33

gometro33 New Member

I just went through the how-to and everything has worked great except for the second to last step. When I try to access the cups webinterface from my computer it says I'm forbidden. I'm pretty sure I followed the directions as he directed. Is there anywhere I might check first? Or should I just run through the last couple parts again? Thanks

4. till

If you see the webinterface, but cant login to some options, please run these comands again:

Add the cupsys user to the shadow group:

Code:
    adduser cupsys shadow

and restart the cups daemon:

Code:
    /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

If you cant reach the webinterface at all, please check if you set the options in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf in the correct sections. The option "AuthGroupName shadow" must be right below or above the AuthGroupName option that is commented out in the file.

5. maino82

maino82 New Member

samba problems

first off, thanks for the tutorial. it was well written and easy to follow.

i went through and did everything (minus setting up CUPS since i don't have a printer) and when i ran "smbclient -L localhost -U%" as root it spat this out:

added interface ip=192.168.0.100 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
    Client started (version 3.0.14a-Ubuntu).
    resolve_wins: Attempting wins lookup for name localhost<0x20>
    resolve_wins: using WINS server 127.0.0.1 and tag '*'
    Got a positive name query response from 127.0.0.1 ( 127.0.0.1 )
    Connecting to 127.0.0.1 at port 445
    Domain=[MAINO] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.14a-Ubuntu]
    dos_clean_name []

Sharename Type Comment
    --------- ---- -------
    netlogon Disk Network Logon Service
    IPC$ IPC IPC Service (server1 server (Samba, Ubuntu))
    ADMIN$ IPC IPC Service (server1 server (Samba, Ubuntu))
    Connecting to 127.0.0.1 at port 139
    Domain=[MAINO] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.14a-Ubuntu]
    dos_clean_name []

Server Comment
    --------- -------
    SERVER1 server1 server (Samba, Ubuntu)

Workgroup Master
    --------- -------
    MAINO SERVER1

so i'm assuming everything went well when setting everything up. however, i still cannot access my samba server from windows. the server shows up under my workgroup, but when i try to connect to it says the server is not accessible. i have tried using the "map network drive" feature to logon using various user names i created, but none have worked. is there some additional configuring that needs to be done in order to access the server?

6. till

This howto is a setup for a domaincontroller server. This means you cannot connect to it with WinXP home, only WinXP professional, Win 2000 or win98 can connect to it. You cannot simply map a network drive as this is handled by the domaincontroller when you join the domain.

To join a domain with WinXP pro:

Go to MyComputer right click on Properties. Go to Change and click on Domain and enter the domain-name you want to join. When joining the domain, you will be first asked for the username that shall join the domain, its the user that you created in linux and added to samba. Then in the next step you have to enter the Administrator user "Administrator" and enter the password for the Administrator.

7. chekov

chekov New Member

SAMBA (Domaincontroller) Server for Small Workgroups Windows - CUPS Webinterface

Remember to add (depends how did you configure cupsd.conf file) at the end of the port number the folder name you are trying to access, i.e.:
    http://192.168.0.100:631/admin. Cupsd.conf has apache-like sections for locations where you can set privileges, or better say, permissions which IP address is allowed to access certain folder of CUPS' webinterface.

I hope this helps.

Chekov