ISPConfig Postfix question

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by morganew, Apr 2, 2008.

1. morganew

morganew New Member

I am moving from a non ISPConfig Debian box running Sendmail to a new Debian ISPConfig box running Postfix.

The box hosts a number of small biz domains, plus my vanity domain.

I currently receive email at one of the business domains hosted on the box and ALSO receive mail on my vanity domain.

I'd like to have all the mail show up in just one inbox, using just one username. This is an easy setup in Sendmail (or as I go through it, PostFix) but I don't quite no how to do it within the ISPConfig context.

Within ISPConfig I have set up each domain as a client so my vanity domain is under a different client than my business. Is there any way to have a global "[email protected]" mailbox using ISPCOnfig?

Thanks in Advance!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If the domains belong to the same website, add them as co-domains. If not, add a mail user to every website and forward the emails to the mailbox.

3. morganew

morganew New Member

Follow on question

Whenever I set up a new linuxbox I add a user account that contains my name, and is usually the front end of my email addresses.

On my new box running 2.2.21 ISPConfig, I cannot set up mail using that name because it's already a username for the entire system.

but postfix clearly sees that username because if I shell in and just use $mail, I can see the mail in my useraccount inbox.

I don't want to do any hand editing of postfix/courier without asking advice here first (because I am a sendmail guy and seems like I could screw up the virtual user tables if I am not careful).

1. what is the best way to set up my clientside mail reader to access the mail in my system wide user account?

2. Would I be better off to just delete that user account and do it all through the ISPConfig front end-creating a virtual user in multiple domains?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

On A ISPConfig system, all mail user accounts should be created trough ISPConfig. If you create accounts manually and trough ISPConfig, you will get problems sooner or later.

5. morganew

morganew New Member

The worst of both worlds...

I have deleted my original user account from the box, including directory, and so forth.

Unfortunately, ISPConfig is still not allowing me to use the name. Instead I get the following error:

The username is already in use

Since the original user is deleted and no longer has an ID, what config file or db needs to be edited or purged to get rid of this now deleted account?

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Please check if the user is still listed in /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/users. If so, delete it from there.

7. morganew

morganew New Member

removed name from users file

The name was located in:

/home/admispconfig/ispconfig/users

I have now removed it, and am able to create the user using ISPConfig.