BIND as secondary to Windows DNS?

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by cwhitmore, May 15, 2008.

1. cwhitmore

cwhitmore New Member

I've setup BIND on FreeBSD which works great. I'm using it as my DNS server on my Vista box. What I can't seem to get working is zone transfers from Windows 2003 DNS server. I've gone into Windows DNS and added the BIND server's IP address as a name server. I've also added the BIND server to the "Notify..." area for BIND to be a secondary server.

If I have BIND listed as a secondary on the Windows DNS I get this error on BIND:
    May 15 09:26:18 FreeBSD named[610]: transfer of 'advocacyinc.org/IN' from 192.168.100.2#53: failed while receiving responses: REFUSED

If I have the BIND server listed as a Name Server on the Windows DNS I get this error on BIND:
    May 15 11:07:13 FreeBSD named[912]: client 192.168.100.5#4595: update forwarding 'Advocacyinc.org/IN' denied

What am I missing?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Must be a permission setting in Windows 2003 DNS server. Unfortunately I don't know that software. At least it's not a BIND problem.

3. cwhitmore

cwhitmore New Member

Turns out it I was making this problem more complicated then it needed to be. After I deleted the zone files on the BIND server and let named recreate them it worked.

I do have one last error to fix:
    May 16 07:36:39 FreeBSD named[2447]: transfer of 'advocacyinc.org/IN' from 192.168.100.2#53: failed while receiving responses: not exact

I found out from google searches that this is caused by a zone record not matching my zone on MS DNS, but how do I determine which one and how do I fix it?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

The zone seems to be advocacyinc.org.