Proftpd Login Issues (only able to log into localhost )

Discussion in 'General' started by ctwillia, May 15, 2008.

1. ctwillia

ctwillia New Member

Hello,

I've searched on this issue but couldn't find an answer to my question. I'm currently trying to ftp into one of the sites I've set up on ISPConfig. Whenever I try to log in (using the web2_xxx login) I get the 530 user cannot log in error.

I've updated the /etc/pam.d/ftp file with the following:

#%PAM-1.0
    auth required pam_unix.so nullok
    account required pam_unix.so
    session required pam_unix.so

I have LDAP set up and I'm able to ftp into localhost just fine, it's only the websites that I've setup that I'm not able to log into. Any help is appreciated.

2. ctwillia

ctwillia New Member

I should probably mention that I'm able to login via web_ftp in ISPConfig without issue to the site.. Only when I type ftp://mysite.com am I unable to log in.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which linux distribution do you use?

4. ctwillia

ctwillia New Member

Sorry forgot to mention that I guess.

I'm using Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04).

Also, as an update I found out that if I add my website to my hosts file I'm able to login just fine. So it appears to be an external internet issue (which is why I can log in fine a localhost). Do I need to specifically set up DNS entries to handle ftp://mysite.com ?

If so do you have an example of the records I need to create?

Thanks,
    Chris

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes. Does your registrar run the name servers for mysite.com, or do you run them yourself? You can find that out by running:
    Code:
    dig ns mysite.com

6. ctwillia

ctwillia New Member

I was originally going to use ISPConfig to handle the name servers but I wasn't having any luck getting it to work (I followed the go daddy tutorial to set up name servers, and I was able to access ns1.mysite.com and ns2.mysite.com from outside my network, but the websites which were supposed to be handled by the nameserver never came up).

So at the moment all of my sites are being handled by zonedit.com. I can access www.mysite.com from outside my network, and ftp://mysite.com brings up a login/pw box but whenever I enter it I get the 530 error. I configured zonedit to handle www.mysite.com and mysite.com.

Also, just in case it wasn't obvious mysite.com is a ficticious name.

Much appreciated,
    Chris

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please try to comment out the include line for the proftpd_ispconfog.conf file in the proftpd.conf file and restart proftpd.

8. ctwillia

ctwillia New Member

I commented out that line and restarted proftpd but still no luck. I'm currently forwarding both ports 20 and 21 to the server from my router so I don't think it's a port issue.

Thanks again for any help.

9. falko

Can you try this with a real FTP client such as FileZilla? I guess you're currently using a browser for this?

10. ctwillia

ctwillia New Member

Hello,

Looks like I figured out the issue by figuring out another unrelated issue. The problem seems to be trying to access my website externally while still within my network.

I was trying to access ISPConfig via the external address and was also unable to connect. However, if I try to access the site outside of my network I can connect fine (with both ISPConfig and FTP).

Thanks for the suggestions.

11. falko

Then it seems that your router doesn't support loopbacks.