Ubuntu Hardy Heron Setup for Local Netwotk only

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by geareddesign, May 16, 2008.

1. geareddesign

geareddesign New Member

Reference HOWTO: The Perfect Server - Ubuntu Hardy Heron

Set-up for Local Network Only?

I am new to setting up Ubuntu and LAMP web server. I would like to create a local web server only (no access from outside world) to use as a development environment. Is there anything special I should do during the install/set-up process to ensure that the sever is restricted to only my local network. I assume that the steps in the process shown on the HOWTO opens the server up to the www, but I could be wrong.

Thank you in advance for any guidance you have to offer.

~ Misty

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Do you plan to set up the server behind a router? Then it's not accessible to the outside world unless you forward port 80 from your router to the server.

3. zskillz

zskillz New Member

this is good timing for this question since I was wondering the same thing as the original question...

falko - here's my concern - I'd like to extend this discussion to a mail server as well. if I'm behind a router, I understand that no one will be able to connect to the web server unless I forward port 80. However, what I don't want is for my mail server to start trying to send out mail (or whatever) and draw the attention of my ISP. Does that make sense? At present, I don't pay for the service level that allows me to run a public mail server, but if I can get it up and running locally and I feel comfortable with it, then I'll upgrade my ISP service level. Until then, I don't want any trouble from them.

thanks
    -z

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff