Simple domain forwarding

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by mbitzl, Aug 12, 2006.

1. mbitzl

mbitzl New Member

Hi,

first, thanks for you great work!

I think it would be a nice feature if the main domain of a web could be set as forwarding domain to some url. The customer should be able to change this url by himself.

Best regards,

Marcus

2. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

If i understand you well, this can be done already on the Co-Domains tab, click on the IP of the website and then specifiy another URL or folder where you can foward to. This is also available for clients.

3. mbitzl

mbitzl New Member

More clear Explanation

Well, almost. This works for co-domains, but not for the main one (together with the hostname). To make my suggestion more clear: Let's say we have a web with

Host: www
    Domain: example.com

then it is possible to create a co-domain with another host and let this point to some URL, for example example.com --> some url, abc.example.com --> another url, ...

What I want is simply make www.example.com forwarding to some url directly. Until now, I use the following workaround (which is ok, but not that nice):

I create a new web with forwarding.example.com and add www.example.com and example.com as co-domains with forwarding urls.

Maybe it is really not necessary to add a direct forwarding solution, but maybe others would find it also useful...

Greetings,

Marcus

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

To forward a domain (website, not co-domain) to another URL, you can put an apache redirect command in the apache directives field of the website.

5. wr19026

wr19026 New Member

How would I go about forwarding a co-domain to an entirely other machine?

Example:

I have installed ISPConfig on IP 10.0.0.150. One of the hosted domains is www.mydomain.dom.

What I want to do is:
    - create a co-domain backup.mydomain.dom
    - have this point to a machine (not running apache etc.) at another location, with the IP address 192.168.0.1; I want to then use rsync to create the backups

I have tried this in the tab for co-domain -> forward and entered the IP address there, but it doesn't seem to work.

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

7. wr19026

wr19026 New Member

8. till

I guess what you are looking for is not a domain redirect. If you want to pint a domain to a IP address, you must set this up in DNS and not as http redirect.

9. Dennis

Dennis New Member

Feature rerequest ;)

I think this is a really useful feature. A frame redirect is even something ispconfig is not capable of right now.

The control panel of a big hosting company offers these options:

Type of use
    - Webspace or Forwarding

Forwarding options
    - Forwarding destination
    - Type of forward: Frame or http
    - title
    - meta description (optional)
    - meta keywords (optional)

For those who wonder how to set the apache redirect mentioned by till:
    Code:
    Redirect / http://www.anotherdomain.tld

10. Baggus

Baggus New Member

11. cambo

cambo New Member

Hi
    I tried this and got an error:
    " You cannot assign HTTPD Includes to this website."
    Am I missing something?

What I want is if anyone comes to my .net site, I just want to send them to my .com site.
    I have them both set up as 2 different domains in ISPConfig

Thanks
    Cambo

12. till

Please make sure that you enabled httpd includes in the settings of the reseller to which the site belongs.

13. cambo

cambo New Member

Ahhh.. It's the simple things that you don't understand that will get you every time. :eek:

Thanks Till, works perfect now! :D

14. Baggus

Baggus New Member

Ofcourse there is always the easy and the hard way, assuming that you have both sites running on the same ISPconfig server you can just remove the complete web directory from one of the sites and replace it with a symlink leading to the directory of the other site.

I have done this before to get an application outside ispconfig to work and i am 100% certain it will work in this situation aswell.

my situation: i had torrentflux setup in /usr/share/torrentflux so i went to the ispconfig dir i.e. /var/www/web1337/
    and deleted the web directory inside the web1337 directory, replaced it with a symlink

Code:
    server@server:/var/www/web10$ ls -al
    total 36
    drwxr-xr-x  8 www-data web10 4096 2008-06-12 12:48 .
    drwxr-xr-x 14 root     root  4096 2008-06-04 02:08 ..
    drwxrwxr-x  2 www-data web10 4096 2008-06-04 02:08 cgi-bin
    -rw-rw-r--  1 root     web10   41 2008-06-12 04:00 .htpasswd
    drwxr-xr-x  3 www-data web10 4096 2008-06-05 00:30 log
    drwxrwxrwx  2 www-data web10 4096 2008-06-04 02:08 phptmp
    drwxr-xr-x  2 www-data web10 4096 2008-06-04 02:08 ssl
    drwxr-xr-x  2 www-data web10 4096 2008-06-04 02:08 user
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root     root    26 2008-06-04 02:21 web -> /usr/share/torrentflux/www
    drwxr-xr-x  3 root     root  4096 2008-06-04 02:19 web_backup

15. cambo

cambo New Member

Hi Baggus
    I am actually doing that in some of my websites to link /images to some personal ftp accounts that are outside the website where images are uploaded to.

I never thought of doing it as a type of domain forward.:rolleyes:

As you say, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Regards
    Cambo

16. elusivemedia

elusivemedia New Member

thanks! very easy...better than paying someone $5/yr to do domain masking :cool: