MX and DNS records

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by xtine, Jun 11, 2008.

1. xtine

xtine New Member

My platform
    OpenSuse 10.2
    Postfix 2.3.2_28
    ISPConfig 2.2.23

DNS configs
    Using "example" in lieu of my domain name, and 11.111.11.111 in lieu of my IP)
    * I run my own DNS server as primary, and use 1and1's as secondary
    * In ISPConfig, under ISP Manager: Co-Domains set up for example.com and www.example.com, with DNS MX unchecked
    * In ISPConfig, under DNS Manager:
    - A Names set up for www.example.com, example.com, mail.example.com, ns1.example.com
    - MX set up for for mail.example.com priority 10, example.com priority 20
    - SPF set up for for example.com
    * I also checked that the above records are in my /var/lib/named/pri.example.com file

mail MX 10 example.com
    MX 20 example.com

example.com. A 11.111.11.111
    www A 11.111.11.111
    ns1 A 11.111.11.111
    mail A 11.111.11.111
    example.com. A 11.111.11.111 --- somehow I have two of these, do I need to delete the A Name from ISPConfig? Does the creation of a Co-Domain in ISPConfig automatically create an A Name? Does this extra line matter?

example.com. TXT "v=spf1 a mx ptr ~all"

What's working
    * DNS is working, I'm able to browse (via browser) to the domain name and co-domains set up in ISPConfig. I'm also able to ping the domain and various sub-domains.
    * I'm able to hook up Outlook client to my mail server, have successfully send and received emails to/from Gmail/Yahoo Mail.

What's not quite working
    1) When testing my server on pingability.com and mxtoolbox.com, the tools reports back that "No MX records for 'example.com', using its A record(s)". I don't understand why this is since ISPConfig shows that I have MX records set up, and file pri.example.com displays the MX records. What am I missing?

2) Mail sent to Yahoo Mail goes straight to Spam Folder. I read that one common issue is if the mail server has open relay. I checked my server using the diagnostic tool on mxtoolbox, and it says that the server is not open relay so that's not it. Someone else suggested using a signature, I did, but there's no impact either. Mail still gets sent to the spam folder. (But this doesn't happen on Gmail, the mail goes to my Inbox on Gmail just fine.) I wonder if problem #1 causes the problem #2? :confused:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Please check if your name server is responsible for the domain. you can do that by running
    Code:
    dig ns example.com
    Please check if your server is blacklisted: http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

3. xtine

xtine New Member

Yes it is. This information was seen on the pingability.com test as well.

Checked, and it's not blacklisted from the servers that responded. 5 servers timed out.

Other ideas?

4. falko

What's the output of
    Code:
    dig mx example.com
    ?

Do you have an SPF record for example.com?

5. xtine

xtine New Member

Output for dig mx example.com -

I have example.com set up as a SPF record in ISPConfig. Here's the corresponding line on the pri.example.com file.

6. xtine

xtine New Member

Another funny thing is that mail sent via an Outlook client takes a while to receive at Yahoo Mail. But from the same server, mail from root gets to Yahoo Mail immediately. Why's that?

7. falko

Any errors in your mail log?

Can you run dig against your DNS server directly?
    Code:
    dig @your.dns.server mx example.com
    What's the output?

8. xtine

xtine New Member

In /var/log/mail.err, I have a ton of these every time my Outlook is opened.

I get the following from tail /var/log/mail.warn. I guess this is benign.

b169:/var/log # dig @ns1.example.com mx example.com

Same answer was received from secondary DNS
    b169:/var/log # dig @slv1.1and1.com mx example.com

9. falko

Please restart famd.

Run
    Code:
    postmap /etc/postfix/virtusertable
    and restart Postfix.

Replace check_relay_domains with reject_unauth_destination in /etc/postfix/main.cf and restart Postfix.

What's in /etc/named.conf?

10. chipsafts

chipsafts New Member

first off, is it 'example.info' or 'example.com' ?

there is no MX reported by the dig,
    when is the last time you restarted the named ?
    When you do restart it, check the /var/log/messages for all the information logged by named.

11. xtine

xtine New Member

Falko -

I restarted famd, ran postmap /etc/postfix/virtusertable, and restarted postfix. It seems I have the same problem that's described in this thread in regards to the virtusertable. Should I run the postmap command and restart postfix every so often? How often?
    http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-10321.html

In /etc/named.conf. Note: substitution names are used, in navy (b169.my.servername.com and anothervirtualhostname.com).

Chipsafts -

I had a typo. It's just a substitution. ;)

A couple of weeks ago when I set it up. I just restarted it and this is what's seen in /var/log/messages (substitutions in navy).

12. falko

I don't know why this happens (SUSE - sigh...), but you must do this whenever you see the warning.

Can you post your /etc/named.conf?

13. xtine

xtine New Member

This is what's in my /etc/named.conf (I just chopped off the comments). Note: substitution names are used, in navy (b169.my.servername.com and anothervirtualhostname.com)

14. xtine

xtine New Member

A friend came over to my house and looked at this for me. Turns out the culprit is this line in the pri.example.com file.

He explained to me that since this is the first line for MX, DNS is using the MX records for the mail.example.com subdomain. Once I removed that line, pingability.com is able to see my MX record. Yay!

I'm still getting a delay in sending mail to Yahoo though. I've emailed their support team, but haven't received anything useful yet. This is what's seen on my mail.info log.
    The behavior is changing, it seems. Yesterday, there was no delay in delivering the mail, but it ended up in the Spam Folder still. Today, there's a delay in delivering the mail (around 30 minutes), but the mail arrived in my Inbox instead of the Spam Folder.

I wonder if the postfix virtusertable issue has something to do with ISPConfig.

15. falko

This is your Postfix configuration. Is it possible that you saved it in your named.conf instead of in /etc/postfix/main.cf?

16. xtine

xtine New Member

Hey Falko,

My bad. Below is the /etc/name.conf. I'm good with the MX record though now. :D

The only remaining problem I have is delay in getting email to Yahoo Mail at this point.

From Pingability.com, I got a "heads-up," do I need to do anything about this?
    /etc/name.conf

17. falko

The named.conf looks good. What's in pri.example.com?

You should ask your hosting company to set up a PTR record for you.

18. xtine

xtine New Member

In my pri.example.com
    This is what I do dig -x 11.111.11.111 (my IP), I get
    Is this sufficient as far as PTR is concerned or do I need more?

19. falko

Looks ok.

Yes, that's sufficient.