ISPConfig 3.0.0.5 on Multiple Servers

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by diablorick, Jul 7, 2008.

1. diablorick

diablorick New Member

Sorry to sound stupid but I am very new to ISP Config in general and I need to use it on multiple servers so I am playing around with Beta3. I followed the instructions included with the file and was able to successfuly setup a single server. Now I would like to wipe that one and setup multiple servers but I am not sure which (apt-get) files should be installed on which machines. Here is what I am setting up.
    ns1
    ns2
    webserv1
    webserv2
    webserv3
    securewebserv1
    mysql
    pop
    smtp
    ispconfig
    each of these is it's own machine with it's own public IP. The ispconfig machine will only be used to logon to and control the other machines. I know I have to do the advanced install and set them to the main DB which will be installed on (ispconfig) machine but which files need to be on which machine.

Thanks very much, I am an IT manager for a large company and I know how frustrating noobs can be but a month ago i had never used linux and now I have 2 bind machines and 3 apache servers up and running just from reading and doing so I will try not to be too much of a burden.

2. diablorick

diablorick New Member

You mean to tell me that not one person out here knows how to do this? 80 views and not 1 single reply.

3. trexen

trexen Member

how many servers are you going to use?

4. diablorick

diablorick New Member

10 for right now

5. trexen

trexen Member

6. diablorick

diablorick New Member

Thanks for the link but what I am actually looking for is the packages needed to run ISPConfig on each machine. I think I may have a solution, I am testing it right now but it will take some time.
    Thank you

7. trexen

trexen Member

8. diablorick

diablorick New Member

Unfortunately, the "perfect setup" doesn't work with ISPConfig3. In ISPConfig2 they used several programs that are not yet compatable with ver3. since ver3 is a complete re-write (and only a Beta) it is set to work with a select few programs which do not include Bind or Sendmail as in previous versions. Also, the big thing, ver2 was not compatable with multiple servers like ver 3 is so the setup for ver2 only includes files needed to get 1 machine running with ALL services on that 1 machine. I know that certain services like mydns only need to go on the nameservers and postfix only needs to go on the mailservers, what I don't know is which packages are needed just to make ver3 run. This way, for example, I can install the minimum amount of pkgs and mydns on each nameserver, and the minimum amount of pkgs and postfix/courier on mailservers and control all of them from 1 instance of ISPConfig.
    I hope that explains a little better what I am trying to do.

9. toomanycooks

toomanycooks New Member

Hi diablorick,

I'm very new to linux and would be interested to know your progress on this. I've got ISPConfig v2 up running on a couple of machines without problems but do like the idea of seperating out the various services across virtualised servers.

Updates appreciated.

Thanks.

10. jamesm

jamesm New Member

ISPConfig 3 distributed on multiple servers

Hello, reading this thread it doesn't appear that there was an actual answer to this question. Can you have a single (or redundant) controlling ISPConfig server that can then administer multiple other servers ... for example:

ISPConfig - portal server
    www1
    www2
    www3
    mail1
    mail2
    mysql1
    mysql2

etc ... we're trying to build a scalable infrastructure with ISPConfig as the main cornerstone of the environment.

Is there a link or document anyone has or has seen that shows how to configure this?

thanks

11. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can control as many servers as you like from one ispconfig controlpanel. There is no documentation available for that, but basically you install the amster server first, then install the slave servers and select expert mode in the installer and the installer will ask you then if the server shall join a master server.

There are several threads about this here in the forum.

12. jamesm

jamesm New Member

Thanks. I did get it working to a point. I had to grant privileges to the host servers mysql to allow the install to work (and open firewall rules as well) ... so it's in there and i can now create domains and such. However it's not creating the files or file structure on the remote server. If i create a site on the main server it works fine and the directories show up ... but when i create on the other one it doesn't. Are there scripts that create remote directories and such? how is that supposed to function and is there something i need to allow to make that happen? I assume it has something to do with API calls.

any help is appreciated.

thanks

13. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The slave is logging into the master mysql database and eplicates the mysql records, so you most likely have a mysql permission problem when it does not create anything on the slave. Try to login from the slave server to the master server with the mysql master login details found in the file /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/config.inc.php on the slave. The password in that file is not encrypted, even if it looks like that.

14. jamesm

jamesm New Member

thanks for the quick reply ... so i checked the file and re-ran the grant statement on my master and it seems to have worked ... everything seems to be accessible now.