best tips to build a web server

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by foottuns, Jul 21, 2008.

1. foottuns

foottuns New Member

I would like to know a few tips on how to build your own server. I am trying to do build it under suse, doesn't any one else have other best ideas.

Thanks for your help.

Regards Dan,

2. Carlo Gambino

Carlo Gambino New Member

What kind of tips are you looking for?

I took an old machine and made some small changes to it, loaded Ubuntu Server 8.04, and was up and running in a few hours. Have you loaded the OS onto the machine? What do you intend to do with it? More info will get better results.

3. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

Of course, you can use Suse for a server, if you like.
    The last couple of years i've tried quit a lot Linux distributions, but finally i chose Debian for my servers. Now i use Debian for 3 years and i really can recommend it for a server! Very stable and the package system is great! If you chose for Debian, you won't regred it!

There are lots of examples here to build a Linux server. Check it out!

4. topdog

topdog Active Member

I would not go for debian given how the butcher packages. Just look at exim or apache on debian, the openssl debacle was the final straw, there is not way am using debian they do not seem to do QA

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

In my opinion SUSE is the worst distro out there. Every time I try to set something up on SUSE, I need at least two or three tries because there's always something going wrong. But maybe it's just me not being used to the SUSE way of doing things.

I'd use Debian on a server.

6. 3motions

3motions New Member

What about setting Fedora Core 9 up for a server? I followed the tutorial here on HTF on setting up the perfect server and I had no issues getting through it. It was laid out well, and everything seemed to snap into place with no problems.

7. zcworld

zcworld New Member

i use fedora 9 in VM as an in house DNS/WWW/ : outside IRC server
    without any problems .... runs a tab slow here and there but its all good and its stable as
    ( as have an mirror copy of it on my laptop)

8. foottuns

foottuns New Member

thanks guys for answering to my post, but I think the best distro which you can use for server is centos or redhat, that is a good stable distro... i wont say that the others which you mention it above they are bad but I think cent Os is good, I want to use my server for my web site, nothing much, so I wont have to pay the hosting all the time.