Spamsnake on Ubuntu 8.04 question

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Thomas_Powers, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Thomas_Powers

Thomas_Powers New Member

Hello How To Guys,

A great thanks to you all for posting the spam snake how to and to Rocky for walking me through my follish mistakes. We have it running at a little ISP when their barracuda crapped out. It's taking 102,000 messages a day and blocking 98.8% of them.

My concern is disk usage and database size. As this continues for these guys, we are watching about 1 % of disk space go down each day. Is there a script that we can run/schedule to purge off old messages from the database and to purge down the mail log? Say keeping only 30 days on line or so?

All help is appreciated!!

Tom P

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can find the logrotation settings in /etc/logrotate.conf and in the /etc/logrotate.d directory. You can adjust the settings to keep the mail log for only 30 days. Restart logrotate afterwards.

3. Thomas_Powers

Thomas_Powers New Member

OK...thats cool

So those settings affect the mail log, how does one control the size of the mysql database and purge it after 30 days?

TP

4. Rocky

Rocky Member

Hey,

To keep 30 days of mails, edit /var/www/mailscanner/conf.php and change:
    Code:
    define(QUARANTINE_DAYS_TO_KEEP, 30);
    Section 9.14 of The Spamsnake guide has what you're looking for. It instructs how to setup a script to keep the quarantine directory clean with only the amount of days you allow and another to keep mysql clean.

Good Luck!

Rocky

5. alfonz.senki

alfonz.senki New Member

After cron update-relay-recipient, emails not delivered

Hello Rocky!

i have little bit confusion with getadsmtp.p and update-relay-recipients.sh.
    The scripts works great (get userlist from AD, and update the /etc/postfix/relay_recipients list, but after when cron run the update-relay-recipients.sh script, the recipients cannot get email, the gld is started :

but email not scanned, not delivered to valid recipient, connection closed. (after waiting 15 min.)

and if i do a postfix reload or restart, Spansnake work perfectly.

My postfiy reload/restart method:
    1.)gld
    2.)postfix
    3.)mailscanner

any idea?

update-relay-recipients.sh
    its works too:
    do i need postfix reload after this??

Trully:
    Alfonz

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  6. alfonz.senki

alfonz.senki New Member

Sorry for disturbing, im not a professional Linux admin, but i find this in the mail.log, and i don't undestand why this mail was delivered:

...virus found and delivered??

Mailwatch says:

why delivered?? Or uninfected and delivered??

... beginners luck

Thx the explanation...

Trully:
    Alfonz

to learn, to learn, to learn - Lenin

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  7. Topper_78

Topper_78 New Member

Hello alfonz.senki, have you found a solution? I've the exact same problem here. Debian Etch with MailScanner, Clamav and Sanesecurity signatures. When Clamav found a infected message against the Sanesecurity signatures MailScanner deliver the message as uninfected. Otherwise if the message is found infected by Clamav with the standard signatures the message in quarantined and not delivered.

8. Rocky

Rocky Member

Hey,

That is a weird issue. I don't have that issue with my setup so for me to troubleshoot would be hard. I would recommend looking through mailscanner.conf and checking out the dangerous content section. Maybe there is something in there that you can use to block those messages containing viruses.

Rocky