ISPconfig and multiple servers

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Bikerepairman, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Bikerepairman

Bikerepairman New Member

I installed ispconfig a few days ago in a test-environment and i'm very pleased about the program.

I have a small question. At the moment I have a webserver (2 domains) and a windows fileserver for our hobby network.
    Soon I want to add more servers; migrate the fileserver to linux, put mysql on a separate server and an application server for internal use.

What is the best way to point ispconfig to the new mysql server and the users to the fileserver? In the future we want to split the ftp server and the mail server too

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Currently ISPConfig supports onle "verything on one server setups". But to have the mySQL database separate should be no problem. Just cahnge the mysql data (host/password, etc) in the file /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/lib/config.inc.php

Multiple server setups will be supported with ISPConfig 3.

3. Bikerepairman

Bikerepairman New Member

Would it work if I use nfs for the /home/ directory?
    exporting the /home directory from the fileserver to the webserver?

Ik looked at this thread and I would like to know when v.3 is planned? Maybe extend it with the possiblility of a fileserver?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, this might work. I'am not sure if you might get problems with quota and file permissions if you dont sync /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow between the two servers.

There is no release date yet. Maybe we get a first alpha in 6 months.

ISPCOnfig 3 is build very modular so integrating a fileserver (SAMBA, NFS and APPLESHARE) will be possible, but is not planned yet.

5. Bikerepairman

Bikerepairman New Member

Didn't think about that.

If a fileserver doesn't make it in v.3, then it certainly will in v.4 .
    If you can do a gateway/router service too, ispconfig will be more like a 'total server solution'.

6. luckylinux

luckylinux New Member

Hi

Hi ... I hope I am posting in the right place
    I have a question: in some months perhaps I'll go to catch out a dedicated server ... and I want to use ispconfig as the control panel, since it is a very powerful solution

But I have a question: I would only have one server, but perhaps I would have more than just one hard disks (perhaps I'll mount hard disks via nfs too).
    Can I manage multiple directories and let ispconfig choose random one of them, for any new user who signs up ?

In other words I only want to use more than one filesystem/mount point/... with ispconfig.

Is that possible ?
    Please let me know. :)

7. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Well, during ISPConfig installation you specify in which directory ISPConfig should create the web sites, e.g. /var/www, so all web sites would be created in this directory (e.g. /var/www/web1, /var/www/web2, etc.).