Thousands of e-mails generated by SpamSnake

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by brownr26, Aug 23, 2008.

1. brownr26

brownr26 New Member

Hello all - I just got my SpamSnake on Ubuntu 8.04 up and running. At least I think. I haven't changed the MX records yet but I know SMTP works. When I finally got it attached to a network with port 25 open there were thousands of e-mails being sent to [email protected]. All of a sudden my current mail serve was swamped. I've read the tutorial and done some digging but I can't find the mail queue on SpamSnake. Can someone please give me a road map to the right directory? These e-mails appear to be delayed delivery reports. I'm guessing it's because while I was building the server it couldn't go out port 25 and all of these delays are stored up. I really need to clear out that queue and slow down the amount of times it sends a delay report. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Do you know what's in these mails? Normally they contain an error message so that you know what the problem is.

What's the output of
    Code:
    postqueue -p
    ?

3. brownr26

brownr26 New Member

E-mail content

This is the content of the messages I'm getting. I've changed the domain names and IP's to protect the innocent. Thought they are correct in the original e-mail:

This is the mail system at host filter.mydomain.com.

####################################################################
    # THIS IS A WARNING ONLY. YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE. # ####################################################################

Your message could not be delivered for more than 4 hour(s).
    It will be retried until it is 5 day(s) old.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<[email protected]> (expanded from <root>): delivery temporarily suspended:
    connect to server.mydomain.com[198.x.x.x]:25: No route to host

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Are you sure that the server has a working internet connection?

5. brownr26

brownr26 New Member

Connection to the queue

Yes, I'm sure it has an Internet connection. I'm positive these e-mails were generated while I building the server. I was working on it in my spare time and the connection it was on while I was building it had port 25 blocked so it couldn't send anything. Once, I had it on an open connection it started unleashing these e-mails to my Exchange server. What I want is to find where they are queued and just delete everything in the queue.

6. Rocky

Rocky Member

You can use webmin and go to the Postfix section. There will be an option for queue in there. You can delete them from there.

Rocky