Issue with Ruby - what can I restart?

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by antun, Aug 31, 2008.

1. antun

antun New Member

A while ago I set up ruby on my ISPConfig server. It's been running OK, but very slowly. Suddenly, the one Rails site that is on there started having problems:

- I get HTTP protocol violations (which I can see by accessing the site through Fiddler). Wrong line endings, mismatch between Content-Length and the actual response size, etc.
    - Pages don't appear correctly, e.g. there are what looks like Rails log entries in the HTML that is rendered by Rails.
    - Nothing shows up in the log files - either in the log files for the site that uses Rails, or in /var/log/apache2/.

I've restarted apache, and ispconfig. I'm not sure how ISPConfig integrates Apache and Ruby. Is there a service I should restart?

Thanks,

Antun

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

This is done through mod_ruby. Did you check that web site's error log (it's in the log subdirectory of the web site, e.g. /var/www/web1/log)?

3. antun

antun New Member

Hi Falko,

You mean error.log? Yes, I checked all the log files in that site's directory, but there was nothing useful. The only error in that file was an error from some invalid mySQL credentials. So the apache error log for the site is getting ruby errors, just nothing relevant to the problem I'm having.

By the way, here is the kind of thing I'm running into. Every now and again, while browing this site, a page is returned that includes content like this in the HTML response:

Code:
    Loaded suite /var/www/web10/web/dispatch.cgi
    Started

Finished in 0.000355 seconds.

0 tests, 0 assertions, 0 failures, 0 errors
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 04:10:09 GMT
    Server: Apache/2.0.55 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.1.2 mod_ruby/1.2.5 Ruby/1.8.6(2007-09-24) mod_ssl/2.0.55 OpenSSL/0.9.8a
    X-Runtime: 0.35496
    ETag: "9996ca41f3d994bcfcc128906edf9fb2"
    Cache-Control: private, max-age=0, must-revalidate
    Content-Length: 691
    Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=98
    Connection: Keep-Alive
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8

<html>
    <head>
    ... rest of HTML ...
    </html>

Basically, the responses are getting corrupted. When the above page returns to the browser, it fails to render (the mixture of Rails test/log output/HTTP headers/HTML is displayed as text in the browser). If I run this through Fiddler, I get errors from the content-length not matching the header value.

-Antun

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I'm not sure why this happens. Maybe a bug in mod_ruby or somewhere else?

5. antun

antun New Member

It could be. Bizzarely, it just started happening all of a sudden. I gave up in the end, and moved the site onto a hosting site that supported rails with fcgi, but I kept a copy on my old server in case anyone needs to debug. If I have some time, I'll do a clean reinstall and see if that changes anything.

-Antun