Ubuntu 8.04 with ebox problem

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by bslaveboy, Sep 12, 2008.

1. bslaveboy

bslaveboy New Member

Hi, I've searched but haven't been able to find this problem addressed elsewhere, and the ebox-platform site appears to be down.

Basically, I've been following this guide: http://www.howtoforge.com/running-a-file-and-print-server-with-ebox-on-ubuntu8.04-server on an Ubuntu 8.04 box. It is the desktop edition, but I didn't think that that would matter and have gone through the first 3 pages of the perfect guide mentioned at the start.

When I get to the point of trying to click on the Access Control icon in the File Sharing -> Shares part, instead of taking me to the screen as shown in the guide, it takes me to the screen that you see when there are no shares with just a "Add new" thing at the top.

I've created 2 users, and 2 groups. Each user is in 1 group. I didn't specify a sharing directory for either of the groups.

Then I set the general file sharing settings to work in "File Sharer" mode although I don't totally understand what a Primary Domain Controller is. I didn't install quota, 'cause I don't want to use those, so I set the quota limit to 0. Roaming mode is disabled (whatever that is).

I also didn't enable the root account, but rather entered the root shell by using sudo su.

Anyone know what's wrong? Or more importantly... how to fix it? :)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Do you maybe have unsaved changes (red rectangle in the upper right corner)?

3. bslaveboy

bslaveboy New Member

Nope, everything saved.

I did notice when installing ebox that I had a lot of messages saying things like open: Permission Denied even though I was running the install as root.

Also, when I tried installing the quota stuff it complained and suggested I fsck the drive, which I did. So perhaps it's simply a case of harddrive failure. I dunno.

4. falko

Is AppArmor disabled?

5. bslaveboy

bslaveboy New Member

Yeah, apparmor was disabled and uninstalled. That harddrive was doing strange things, so I replaced it.

Do I need to have the quota stuff installed to use ebox? We're not planning on implementing quotas (so I would set the limit to 0 anyways).

6. falko

No, you don't need the quota stuff.

I'm not sure where the problem is coming from. :(

7. bslaveboy

bslaveboy New Member

Ah well. I figured that I would just knuckle down and use ye old playing with smb.conf files and such. Pity, 'cause that ebox looked really nice. :)

Thanks anyways for putting up the tutorial and helping me. I really appreciate it. :)