why am I having problem with my internet connectivity?

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by jaglinux, Sep 18, 2008.

1. jaglinux

jaglinux New Member

I had a strange problem.Recently, I virtualized my RHEL 5 system by installing Fedora 8 as guest operating system(XEN). The installation went fine. But, after installation my internet connection stopped working. Any suggestions?. I was on TataIndicom wireless USB modem. I haven't had any problems with internet connectivity before virtualizing. I use KPPP to connect to internet. when I see the detials of the connection, I could actually see bytes coming in but not going out.. I haven't modified any of the internet connectivity settings after virtualizing...

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Do you use a firewall on the server? If so, switch it off - I think it interferes with Xen's iptables rules.
    Also, did you disable SELinux?

3. jaglinux

jaglinux New Member

Hi

I could figure out the source of the problem. It was not with the firewall or SELinux. When I installed fedora 8 (the guest), I specified a gateway IP address where I don't have a gateway coz Im connected to Internet directly (not thru gateway). I had to remove the Gateway entry from host operating system coz that's where I connect to internet from. I still dont understand how come the entry appeared with host o/s when I actually specified gateway when I installed guest o/s.