Wanted a Good Fast Linux Distro

Discussion in 'Desktop Operation' started by siringo, Sep 23, 2008.

1. siringo

siringo New Member

Work gave me this new Toshiba laptop with Vista on it and Vista was just so slow it drove me mad.

I ditched Vista and installed open SUSE11 and was a bit disappointed by it's speed, Vista seemed faster sometimes.

I'm new to Linux and still need to run Vista, but 'll be running it under VMWare or something similar. I've been a Windows user 3.0 but am happy to jump onto Linux for ever now.

I'm currently working on a Ubuntu Live CD as I type. It looks really good, but I'm worried about not being able to su to root. Should I be??

So, what I want to know is, what is a well supported, easy to learn and quick to use Linux distro that will run fast on my nice new Toshiba laptop??

I'm pretty impressed with Ubuntu but is there something better?

Thanks for any advice.

2. mloberg

mloberg New Member

Well, I have tried a lot of distros of Linux, and I think that Ubuntu is the best distro. You shouldn't need to worry about being root. Ubuntu runs great is a widely supported. I would stick with Ubuntu.

3. jeremyswalker

jeremyswalker New Member

I have tried both SuSe and Ubuntu, as well as others, and in my opinion Ubuntu runs faster. Also, if you use Xfce as the desktop, it runs that much faster. Also, I can't say if there is any limitations compared to just su, but you can use sudo su to login as root in the terminal.

4. JeGr

JeGr Member

And you can also run "sudo su -" to become root if that should be really! neccessary.

5. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

I think Ubuntu is a good choice indeed, but if you're looking for speed.
    Dreamlinux is the fasted distro i'v ever experienced. Especially the XFCE desktop is really fast!

6. kgas

kgas New Member

Arch Linux...

Arch Linux is also a good distro with the KISS principle. Its rolling release concept is good.:)

7. meomike2000

meomike2000 New Member

if you use ubuntu and your want to you can enable root login, also can go terminal mode and type: sudo passwd root Then enter your passwork, then the new password for root, then you can just type in su and enter password and you will be root in that terminal.

8. wilbert-vanbakel

wilbert-vanbakel New Member

In Ubuntu you are able to run #sudo su and then you have the same convenience as running su.