ISPConfig 3.0.0.7 Beta - ProFTPd: Offline - FTP not working

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by djh-compnet, Oct 26, 2008.

1. djh-compnet

djh-compnet New Member

Hi,

I have sucessfully installed ISPConfig 3.0.0.7 Beta on a barebone Debian 4.0 Etch VPS and I am impressed so far. The installation process was very simple and easy.

The only problem I am having is that ProFTPd will not start.

If followed the following part of the Debian install:

When executing:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/openbsd-inetd restart
    I get:
    Restarting internet superserver: inetd* Not starting internet superserver: no services enabled.

Also:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/openbsd-inetd start
    Results in:
    Not starting internet superserver: no services enabled.
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure pure-ftpd-mysql / dpkg-reconfigure pure-ftpd-common
    Does anyone have an idea what to do about this?:confused:

These forums are useful and whenever I cannot find an answer I'll post my questions. Thank you.

2. calocen

calocen New Member

Stop the machine (101 in this case) and execute this if you are in a OpenVZ environment

VPSID=101

for CAP in CHOWN DAC_READ_SEARCH SETGID SETUID NET_BIND_SERVICE NET_ADMIN SYS_CHROOT SYS_NICE CHOWN DAC_READ_SEARCH SETGID SETUID NET_BIND_SERVICE NET_ADMIN SYS_CHROOT SYS_NICE
    do
    vzctl set $VPSID --capability ${CAP}:eek:n --save
    done

Then restart the VE

3. djh-compnet

djh-compnet New Member

I only have remote SSH access to the server, no control panel. Your post makes me think maybe there is a permission/privilege issue with my configuration?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

First, ispconfig 3 does not support proftpd, it supports pureftpd so I hope you installed pureftpd and not proftpd as you stated in the headline.

1) Are you running pureftpd in a virtual machone or not.

Thats correct as you must run pureftpd as standalone server and not in inetd! To restart pureftpd, you must restart the pureftpd start script and not the inetd script.

5. djh-compnet

djh-compnet New Member

Yes, I installed Pure-FTPd. That is just an error in the title that needs to be changed.

/etc/init.d/openbsd-inetd restart is what is included in the Debian install instructions. I did set Pure-FTPd as standalone in the config file. But I am miffed why then there are instructions to start the inetd script in the instructions?

Also, another question, is there a way to add a second nameserver in ISPConfig3?

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This is included to make sure that pureftpd is not running trough inted anymore.

You may add as many nameservers as you want. Just point them to the master mysql database.