accessing_windows_or_samba_shares_using_autofs

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Integ, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Integ

Integ New Member

Re: http://www.howtoforge.com/accessing_windows_or_samba_shares_using_autofs

Followed the howto and seem to be having a strange problem, just installed 8.10 today and am pretty much a newbe to linux so suggest anything no matter how simple :)

I can 'smbclient \\SERVER -U username' and connect to the share no problem so i assume all is generally good and if I 'ls -als /cifs/SERVER/' the ls works and I see $ADMIN $C $D but now the fun begins...

This can be seen best by browsing via GUI to the /cifs/SERVER/ folder, I can see the 3 shares; then 1 disappears, then 2 disappear, then the last changes to a file icon instead of a folder and then all 3 folders appear again and the process repeats. I cant access any of the folders because if I try I'm told the location dosent exist.

If anyone can shed some light that would be great, TIA.

2. Integ

Integ New Member

Can anyone suggest a better solution if this is a freak problem. :confused:

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Do you see any errors in the log files (in the /var/log directory)?

4. Integ

Integ New Member

syslog was complaining that username 'user' was wrong credientials but i wasnt using the username user in the cred file, and if it was wrong why could i see the root share, and that wouldnt explain the folder self deleting...

After reading some more I decided to go for a debian desktop, I have to agree with alot of ppl saying 8.10 is slow I found it very very sluggish, maybe a driver problem but unfortunatily I dont know how to tell.

I'm trying to get to grips with linux again to setup a etch server so maybe the deb desktop is a better way to go from the learning angle anyway.

Thanks for the reply, i will try the same howto again on lenny this time and post back (i wanted to check really that the howto wasnt out of date or something like that).