Perfect SpamSnake User question

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Thomas_Powers, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Thomas_Powers

Thomas_Powers New Member

Hello....

We have had the perfect spam snake running for almost 6 months now and it's great!! Kudos to Rocky for Posting it!!

Anyway...our admin has now quit, and management says we need to change the passwords on the spamsnake.

We already have tried changed the ubuntu root password, but we are sure that has made some issues for us in the config.

We also want to use a different user for hitting the mailscanner site altogether (mailwatch is what we used before) let's say we change it to 'webmail' for the user. I'm sure there will be a mailscanner DB change as well as some config files to define that user to mailscanner, the db, etc. we just don't know all the places.

We took a shot at this on a cloned version and the mailscanner web page stopped working altogether, so we now post for help.

So if anyone could post the way to properly change the root password for ubuntu (which we have with sudo passwd root) and then the changes the spamsnake will need to take that new root password. We also want to change the 'mailwatch' user to 'webmail' user so all the db settings and conf file changes we'll have to make.

THanks
    Tom P

2. Rocky

Rocky Member

Tom,

I'm happy to hear that you've been using the snake and it's been doing it's job for you. As for your problems.

Have you already changed the root password? If so, then that part is completed.

As for the snake, you can create a new user with administrator priviledges or you can just change the password for your existing user.

If you log into the mailwatch interface and go to tools/links, select user management. You'll then be taken into another window that lists all your created users. From there, you can add, delete or edit the user profiles accordingly. I would just change the password on the current user.

Hope this helps.

Rocky

3. Thomas_Powers

Thomas_Powers New Member

One other quick question

THanks...the user changeout works.

How does one purge the old emails from the system? We have stuff that goes back 6 months and if I list all the messages, I get like 29000 pages. How does one dump everythin gin the DB and go fresh? We've noticed it's getting slower as this gets bigger. The messages themselves are gone, but I'm thinking they still show up in the database.

Tom P

4. Thomas_Powers

Thomas_Powers New Member

I was wrong

We thought things were ok after changing the passwords, but now we get this error on reboot of mailscanner

Warning: mysql_pconnect(): Access denied for user 'mailwatch'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /var/www/mailscanner/functions.php on line 509 Could not connect to database: Access denied for user 'mailwatch'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

It's gotta be in a config file somewhere...but which one?

TP

5. Rocky

Rocky Member

Tom,

Did you change the password for your mailwatch db user? If so, you'll have to update the password accordingly:

Select the mailwatch user and change the password as necessary.

Edit /var/www/mailscanner/conf.php and update the following with the password used in the above:
    define(DB_USER, 'mailwatch');
    define(DB_PASS, 'password');

If you did section 9.10, you'll need to update /etc/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/SQLBlackWhiteList.pm as well:
    my($db_user) = 'mailwatch';
    my($db_pass) = 'password';

Let me know how that goes.

Rocky