MySQL Cluster on Virtual Machines?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Srdan Dukic, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Srdan Dukic

Srdan Dukic New Member

Hi,

I am looking at creating a MySQL cluster as a back end to a site I am in the process of setting up. The hosting company I am with prefers virtual machines, in particular VMWare virtual machines. I just read the mysql-cluster faq's found here and saw that it is not recommended to run a mysql cluster on virtual machines. Is this true? or can you in fact run a mysql cluster on something other than physical machines? Has anyone tried to run a mysql cluster on VMs before?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Apart from timing and performance issues I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. I haven't had any timing issues on Xen and OpenVZ, so I think I'd use one of these technologies.

3. Srdan Dukic

Srdan Dukic New Member

It seems that the problem of running each node on a separate VM is that the extra latency of the VM layer causes the nodes to think that some of the other nodes have crashed. (Thanks to Monty for the answer here).

This would mean that it would be possible, however, if the cluster started having problems and behaving oddly, it would have to have it's timeout values reconfigured.