Ubuntu 8.10 Perfect server hangs daily

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by aristotle jones, Mar 2, 2009.

1. aristotle jones

aristotle jones New Member

Howdy,

I'm hoping somone can point me in the right direction here. I followed the perfect server setup for the Ubuntu 8.10 install and have ISPconfig up and running. Several websites are working fine. Not currently hosting any email or DNS (just FYI). My problem is the server appears to shutdown daily, sometimes multiple times per day. Its in a a/c cooled environment and I really don't think its hardware related.

Are there any logs that i could look at to help point me in a direction before I format and install again? I have an almost identicle hardware setup sitting right next to this one running FreeBSD without a hickup.

I've looked at the system log right before I reboot and occasionally it references ISPConfig and logs or something but I don't really know what I'm looking at. Any help is appreciated.

thanks,

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Just a guess - maybe it's swapping out?

Do you have munin installed? That might help track down the problem.

3. aristotle jones

Swapping out?

You mean running out of swap space? I wouldn't think so due to the large hard disk and single partition layout. As for munin, no I don't have it installed. I don't mind doing a rebuild so long as you can confidently say this is some sort of anomaly and not the norm for an ISPconfig setup. I'll post some of the relevant logs if that would help as well.

4. falko

We have tens of thousands ISPConfig installations, and this is definitely not the norm. I don't think it has anything to do with ISPConfig.

5. aristotle jones

Possible solution

I noticed in my logs that I was getting hammered with SSH dictionary attacks. On a hunch I blocked off port 22 from the firewall so that SSH was only available over my VPN and the system has been up and running for several days straight now.

I saw your instructions for adding a hosts.deny but that it was a bit old. Does it still work if you are using the latest python, or have you found a better way to handle ssh dictionary attacks?

Thanks for your time.

AJ

6. falko

7. aristotle jones

looks good

are the changes you made suitable for your stock ubuntu/ispconfig setup?

8. falko

I think so. ;)