ISPConfig 3.0.1 and broken jailkit

Discussion in 'General' started by sylvester_0, Mar 26, 2009.

1. sylvester_0

sylvester_0 New Member

Hello all - first I'd like to show my gushing gratitude to all of the developers for this great thing that is ISPConfig!

Just yesterday I installed the final version of ISPConfig 3 onto a fresh Intrepid 8.10 inside of a VPS. All is working well so far except for the jailkit functionality.

Here are some errors that I'm seeing when trying to log in with a newly created shell user.

/var/log/auth.log:
    Code:
    sshd[24199]: error writing /proc/self/oom_adj: Operation not permitted
    last message repeated 2 times
    sshd[24199]: Accepted password for mydomain_tldadmin from 10.1.1.208 port 43759 ssh2
    sshd[24199]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened for user mydomain_tldadmin by (uid=0)
    jk_chrootsh[24202]: now entering jail /var/www/clients/client3/web3 for user web3 (1002)
    jk_chrootsh[24202]: abort, username web3 differs from jail username mydomain_tldadmin for user ID 1002, check /etc/passwd and /var/www/clients/client3/web3/etc/passwd
    sshd[24199]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session closed for user mydomain_tldadmin
    /etc/passwd:
    Code:
    web3:x:1002:118::/var/www/clients/client3/web3/./home/web3:/bin/false
    mydomain_tldadmin:x:1002:118::/var/www/clients/client3/web3/./home/mydomain_tldadmin:/usr/sbin/jk_chrootsh
    /var/www/clients/client3/web3/etc/passwd:
    Code:
    root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
    mydomain_tldadmin:x:1002:118:::/bin/bash
    The only other reference to this error that I can find is here: link.

In the end I'm hoping to use jailkit/ssh as a replacement for the insecure FTP service.

Thanks for any help!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Did you install jailkit before you installed ISPConfig or after you installed ISPConfig. nd especially which jailkit version did you install?

The error "error writing /proc/self/oom_adj: Operation not permitted" seems to be a problem with your vps.

3. sylvester_0

sylvester_0 New Member

I did install it afterwards (I copy and pasted the install lines and forgot to run the make install because I was having problems compiling it because of limited VPS resources prior to that). I did find some instructions that said to run update.php if you install jailkit afterwards so I did so.

I installed the version located here: http://olivier.sessink.nl/jailkit/jailkit-2.5.tar.gz as set fourth in the instructions.

I'm just starting out so it wouldn't be hard to do a complete re-install if you think it's necessary.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Maybe a reinstall is the cleanest and also fastest way. Jailkit works fine on my test systems as long as it is installed before ispconfig. If it is installed afterwards you might get various problems and thst not easy to debug. If possible I recoomend to use debian instead of ubuntu, they are very similar but debian is tested more and is known to run more stable with ISPConfig 3 then ubuntu.