Looking for help creating well rounded hosting.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by asok, Mar 31, 2009.

1. asok

asok New Member

Hello,

I am sort of new to web sites, sorry about some dumb questions. I started working with Debian when Woody came out. So, I know my way around a bit. Just not with web sites.

My goal is to create a "Well Rounded" web host. I would like to be able to offer virtual domains, gallery2, phpbb3, and mediawiki to my friends using Debian Lenny and ISPConfig 3. I know I can get all of these but gallery2 in Lenny. Just not sure how to set it up with multisite.

I am willing to help test anything. I run VMWare on my home Sarge box to test with. So, I do not mind trying something having it break and starting over.

Thanks,
    Asok

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I do not recommend to use multisite and you should not use the debian packages of gallery2 or phpbb on a hosting server.

Better you create a new website in ispconfig for every software package you want to use and then install the latest tar.gz version of the script inside this website.

3. asok

asok New Member

That makes sense. Then how do I install each of the 3 apps and not have them install on each other?

I was going to use http://www.howtoforge.com/gallery2_codebase_ispconfig but, then I saw it was for ver 2 and some of the items that it said to look for I can't find. For example, creating a database.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Just install the application in each single web site that wants to use the app.

5. asok

asok New Member

Thanks! Then would I just installed each app in /var/www/exmaple.com/ ?

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

In /var/www/exmaple.com/web/. :)

7. DantePasquale

DantePasquale Member HowtoForge Supporter

FWIW, I totally agree with Falko. I went the multi-site route with ISPConfig 2. There are so many features that don't work, that I had to go back, tear it apart and install gallery2 wherever I needed it to be. Also, be sure to name the sub-directory that you install it into as 'gallery2' so that the URL re-writes work. I was in re-write hell until I did this and then the gallery2 wizard worked fine.

So us /var/www/example.com/web/gallery2 - or if you want it by each user, do /var/www/example.com/user/web1_user1/web/gallery2

8. asok

asok New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I had some time over the weekend to play with it some more. I had to do a fresh install of Lenny and just install everything the way you both suggested and it worked great!