Install ISPConfig on CentOS Server, in brief

Discussion in 'Tips/Tricks/Mods' started by gfts, Dec 12, 2005.

1. gfts

gfts New Member

Hello users,

This is for users, who have downloaded, or is using Centos 4.2 Final Server edition as their os.

It has took me lots of pains, to install ispconfig on the Centos server. Here are the things that i had to do, in order to get ispconfig working on my server.

In order to help other users, trying ispconfig on centos, i would suggest the following.

- gcc is not installed by default, on centos server iso.

yum install gcc bison flex byacc

zlib is older, ispconfig recommends to update the zlib from www.zlib.net, hence download the tar files, and install zlib.

- clamav is not installed.
    get the files from www.clamav.net
    do the following.

# groupadd clamav
    # useradd -g clamav -s /bin/false -c "Clam AntiVirus" clamav

mysql-server is not installed by default on centos

i installed mysql-server from the Centos cd.

You need to know mysql username and password, which is required while installing ispconfig, else the setup will fail :((

I didn't know, so i had to start all over again.

In the meantime, i, from a bit of books, n sources, secured my mysql server more better.

delete all uesrs from mysql server.
    mysql> connect mysql;

Connection id: 2
    Current database: mysql

mysql delete from user;

(At this point, we have no users in MYSQL, hence if we disconnect from MYSQL, we will not be able to login again, and have to reinstall MYSQL again.)

mysql> select password('test123');

+-----------------------------+
    |password('test123') |
    +-------------------+
    | 234ew1rl334erg31 |
    +-------------------+
    1 row in set (0.00sec)

we now create admin user(sqladmin) with full privilidges and an encrypted password.

mysql> grant all privileges on *.* to sqladmin@localhost identified by password '234ew1rl334erg31' with grant option;
    Query OK, 0 rows affected(0.00sec)

mysql> select host,user,password from user;
    +-------+--------+------------------+
    |host | user | password |
    |localhost | sqladmin | 234ew1rl334erg31 |
    1 row in set (0.00 sec)

In short, we deleted all default mysql users, and created a new admin account

restart mysql

#/etc/init.d/mysqld restart

Only then, try installing ISP Config on a CentOS Server

Thanks and regards :D

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Hello,

thank you for your howtoI! I've moved the thread to the tips & tricks forum.

Till

3. jtowne

jtowne New Member

After the above is centos ready for a ispconfig install? Or should I try to use the fedora 4 as a rough guide of what needs to be done next?

Thanks

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I think you should try to combine both tutorials as gfts' guide does not cover the installation of Postfix, Apache, quota, etc.

5. jtowne

jtowne New Member

That was my thought and plan when I get a chance. I will let you all know the outcome when I try.

6. jtowne

jtowne New Member

I am running into a problem on page 3
    http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_fedora_core_4_p3
    it says to install apt-get to get some programs from a freshrpms.net but that is specific to fedora 4 I am able to install all but imap from yum. Is this the same as cyrus-imapd that I can get through YUM??

This is probably suposed to be now asked under the install section?

7. falko

You can use yum instead of apt-get. I don't know which imap packages are available on CentOS, but you can run
    Code:
    yum search imap
    to find out.
    Maybe dovecot is what you're looking for.

8. jtowne

jtowne New Member

Dovecat is installed and cyrus-imapd is available. Is Dovecat only secure imap? In YUM it looks that way but a quick look at the site it doesn't.

9. falko

Dovecot is a normal imap server.

10. tobiasly

tobiasly New Member

For those who would prefer to install an RPM instead of tarball for zlib, you can download zlib 1.2.3 Source RPM from the following (it's the Fedora development page but you will recompile it for CentOS):

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/SRPMS/

Find the latest "zlib" package. At the time of this writing it is zlib-1.2.3-1.2.1.src.rpm. Then issue "rpmbuild --rebuild" on the SRPM to compile it for CentOS. This will write two RPMs into /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 (the final directory may be different depending on your arch). Simply "rpm -Uvh" the applicable RPM that is created.

So to summarize:

Code:
    wget http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/SRPMS/zlib-1.2.3-1.2.1.src.rpm
    rpmbuild --rebuild zlib-1.2.3-1.2.1.src.rpm
    rpm -Uvh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/zlib-1.2.3-1.2.1.i386.rpm
    rpm -Uvh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/zlib-devel-1.2.3-1.2.1.i386.rpm

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  11. xianusa

xianusa New Member

www.clamav.net does not have binary for Centos.

So: which binary do I chose?????????????

Please note:
    I am using Centos 4.3 and after changing the /etc/redhat-release file from 4.3 to 4.2
    I was able to install ISPconfig and after installation, I changed it back to 4.3

xian

12. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You dont have to install ClamAV if you use ISPConfig. ClamAV is compiled and installed automatically by the ISPConfig installer.