New to ISPConfig, would like some information

Discussion in 'General' started by Johnny49, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Johnny49

Johnny49 New Member

Good day everyone

I've just started my first 'real' job today and it involves ISPConfig. I've just finished school last year and don't have much Linux experience. :)

My new boss gave me a server, a Debian CD and the link to this page. He told to read up and learn about ISPConfig a bit before he unleashes me on his live system. He is out of town for the week on business and I'd like to take this opportunity to do some self study before he comes back next week and my official training starts.

So far I've managed to get the server up and running to the stage where I get to the login screen, thanks to the great tuts on this site. This server is not live, it is just running on our LAN, but I think I would set up a live server at home tonight and muck around with it a bit

I would like to ask a few questions and would really appreciate some help from the community.

1) Can I use dyndns to setup my server at home, if not I'll ask one of my colleagues to give me a public IP
    2) What ports need to be forwarded from my router. Currently I can only pick up port 80, but would imagine port 25 and 110 also needs to be opened for mail access
    3) When I create a website for a client,
    a) do I create a FTP user for this client to access my server?
    b) where does the website files go?

For now, I think this will get me going. Thanks in advance to everyone who is willing to help

2. mgibson

mgibson New Member

hi johnny,

in response to ur questions

1) Can I use dyndns to setup my server at home, if not I'll ask one of my colleagues to give me a public IP
    yes as long as dyndns points to your public ip at home

2) What ports need to be forwarded from my router. Currently I can only pick up port 80, but would imagine port 25 and 110 also needs to be opened for mail access
    Ports 80 (HTTP), 8080 (ISPConfig Admin Access), 21 (FTP), 25 (SMTP), 110 (POP3) & 443 (SSL (optional))
    3) When I create a website for a client,
    a) do I create a FTP user for this client to access my server?
    yes, under Sites>FTP-User
    b) where does the website files go?
    When logged into the FTP, files go into the /web/folder

hope this helps

3. Johnny49

Johnny49 New Member

Thank you mgibson, appreciate the reply

I will definitely try to set it up like you said and post again should i need some more answers :)

4. Johnny49

Johnny49 New Member

Another question please. I have set up a server at home and created the following DNS records as well as registered a domain. I have set up this domain as a new client and created a mailbox for myself, yet when I send a test mail from another mail account, I get a msg stating "550 Invalid recipient domain"

$TTL 86400 ; Default TTL
    mydomain.com. IN SOA ns0.xname.org. my.maildomain.com. (
    xxx ; serial
    10800 ; Refresh period
    3600 ; Retry interval
    604800 ; Expire time
    10800 ; Negative caching TTL
    )

$ORIGIN mydomain.com.
    IN NS ns0.xname.org.
    IN NS ns1.xname.org.
    IN NS ns2.xname.org.
    IN MX 1 mail.mydomain.com.
    mail IN A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    www IN A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Please can someone give me some pointers should I have missed something
    Thanks in advance

5. rdv25772

rdv25772 New Member

Can you look in the headers of the email in which you received the message?

Did you look in the log of the mail (/var/log/mail.log)?

Have you tried to dig your dns records using a different nameserver? I copied the original file /etc/resolv.conf and I edited it to get another nameserver to see it was working ok.