Samba and WebDAV (webaccess)

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by valter, Apr 25, 2009.

1. valter

valter New Member

Hi,

Anyone knows how to enable users accessing their home folders and/or any other network drives via the Internet? For those who know Novell Open Enterprise Server, there is a NetStorage, that allows you to access your home directory and/or any other file resource from your logon script.

I have checked few file manipulation scripts from hotscripts, but all are limited to single users home directory...

Thanks in advance.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Did you search for Samba and WebDA tutorials on this site? Hopefully there's a tutorial that might suit your needs.

3. valter

valter New Member

Hi Falko,

Yes I have, and nothing turns up. Besides, I was thinking if someone knows an open source system that allows users to access their files remotely with a file browser kind of interface with possibility for download, upload and other usual file manipulation.

4. falko

But this is what WebDAV is doing. :confused:

5. valter

valter New Member

Yes it does, but WebDAV is no interface, it's just the ability to save documents. I am looking for a interface...

6. tebokkel

tebokkel New Member

The interface is in your OS. Windows Explorer has the ability to browse WebDAV shares (almost) the same as local drives/folders. OSX the same..

If you want something fancier, try FTP.. :D

Paul

7. valter

valter New Member

Well even though your answer might sound helpful, I found it kinda obnoxious. I wasn't looking neither for flammers nor for dumb comments like yours. I think the questions was clear enough. I was more than clear in my first post as well as commenting on WebDAV. If you have anything constructive, you're more than welcome to contribute, otherwise, please spare me...

8. falko

Well, to be honest, it's not quite clear to me for what kind of interface you're looking then. :confused: tebokkel is right, Windows Explorer is the interface...

9. valter

valter New Member

Well if it wasn't clear enough, then I hope this image(s) will be more of the help....

[​IMG]

On the left side is list of drives mapped through login script, while on the right you can manipulate folders and/or files using commands on the top row.

10. falko

11. valter

valter New Member

I got your point, but that doesn't solve my issue. I'm looking for a web interface so that access to files is independant of OS and/or file browser.

12. falko

You didn't mention that you're looking for a web interface, and unfortunately I don't know of one.

13. valter

valter New Member

Well I am sorry if it wasn't clear enough, I thought that image says 1000 words... anyway, I have found a "simple" script called smbwebclient, it's just that for some reason I can't get it to work. Script looks promissing and I think that it would be a great help to many people.

14. valter

valter New Member

Anyone got an idea how to configure this script, so it allows access to samba shares??? Thanks...

15. falko

I haven't tried that script, so I'm afraid I can't help.