After upgrade Debian Etch to Lenny SMTP acting up

Discussion in 'General' started by Been Told, May 2, 2009.

1. Been Told

Been Told Member

Hi there!
    I have upgraded the root server in my signature from Debian Etch to Lenny (in accordance with the HowTo here on HowToForge).
    Everything is working fine, but I cannot login to the SMTP server anymore.
    The login details get rejected. I have not changed the passwords in ISPconfig or my E-mail client. POP3 and IMAP work fine. It's only SMTP that's acting up.

Here's a relevant mail.info entry:
    Code:
    Apr 26 10:49:04 server1 postfix/smtpd[15288]: connect from server1.domain.tld[123.123.123.123]
    Apr 26 10:49:04 server1 postfix/smtpd[15288]: warning: SASL authentication failure: cannot connect to saslauthd server: Permission denied
    Apr 26 10:49:04 server1 postfix/smtpd[15288]: warning: server1.domain.tld[123.123.123.123]: SASL LOGIN authentication failed: generic failure
    Apr 26 10:49:04 server1 postfix/smtpd[15288]: lost connection after AUTH from server1.domain.tld[123.123.123.123]
    Apr 26 10:49:04 server1 postfix/smtpd[15288]: disconnect from server1.domain.tld[123.123.123.123]
    Any idea what may be the reason for this?

2. jerume

jerume New Member

Could you precise the address of the HOWTO in question ?

3. Been Told

Been Told Member

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please redo the postfix installation steps from the ispconfig 2 perfect server tutorial for debian Lenny.

5. Been Told

Been Told Member

Hi till, there's no mention of postfix in the howto. However there is a fix in proposed in the comments and I'll try that.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

7. Been Told

Been Told Member

Oh I see.
    After following the steps in the comments of the ugprade tutorial, everything is working now.
    Here is what I did:
    Code:
    adduser postfix sasl
    /etc/init.d/postfix restart
    /etc/init.d/saslauthd restart
    Should I still do the steps from the lenny perfect setup?

8. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

No, the other steps shouldn't be needed.

9. rwijngaa

rwijngaa New Member

All mail suddenly are delivered to me (postmaster)

Hi Falko,

After upgrading to lenny, suddenly all mail sent to any (!) of my (ispconfig2) hosted email accounts, are delivered to me (postmaster / owner)
    I tried the fixes mentioned in this forum, but this did not resolve it.
    It *did* resolve the warning below:

Jul 28 08:36:03 vps508 postfix/tlsmgr[16467]: warning: redirecting the request to postfix-owned data_directory /var/lib/postfix
    Jul 28 08:36:03 vps508 postfix/tlsmgr[16467]: warning: request to update table btree:/var/spool/postfix/smtp_scache in non-postfix directory /var/spool/postfix

Any ideas?

Regards
    Rino

10. rwijngaa

rwijngaa New Member