Question About VMware Images and it's configuration on Windows OS

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by xichvi, May 11, 2009.

1. xichvi

xichvi New Member

I have download VMware Images :

The Perfect Server - Ubuntu 8.10 [ISPConfig 3]
    The Perfect Server - OpenSUSE 11.1 [ISPConfig 3]
    The Perfect Server - Debian Lenny i386 [ISPConfig 3]

but i have problem :

i using windows xp and try to install VMware server 2.0 and when i try to open this images i receive err

please somebody give me the guide which operation system i must use, also please edvice which versions are best for my case - VMware server 1.2 or 2.0?

also if there write all opportunity how to install on windows its will be better

2. guawhitehawk

guawhitehawk New Member

Hi,

i haven´t tested the images yet but you should use VMWare Server 1.6.x which is the newest 1.x version because there you have a GUI like VMWare Workstation - VMWare Server 2.0 only has a WebUI and is definitely built for servers ;)

you also may try out the latest Virtualbox 2.2 binary from Sun! It can handle vmdks as well - so you need to mount the vmdk as a hard drive to a self-made virtual machine.

hope it helps a little bit - and you should tell us which error occures while trying to load in the VMs!

martin

3. xichvi

xichvi New Member

thanks for all,

server started but in text mode, and shows this
    [​IMG]

and after this what i mast to do???

4. guawhitehawk

guawhitehawk New Member

it shows what? server started in text mode? can you show us some screenshots and/or messages and a little more with which virtualization method?
    (kannst mir auch in deutsch schreiben wenn dir englisch schwer fällt)

5. xichvi

xichvi New Member

[​IMG]

there is :)

6. guawhitehawk

guawhitehawk New Member

Ok thats it....you have successfully logged in as root into the server - the Virtual Machine Image is a "Server"-version without a graphic frontend like KDE/GNOME. Everything worked correct as it seems to me because login came and i (you!) were able to login.

Your problem is solved!

Greetz and good night (its 11:41 pm at me)

7. xichvi

xichvi New Member

good night and thanks you again

now i trying to install KDE/GNOME , is it possible?

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  8. guawhitehawk

guawhitehawk New Member

of course its possible and not yet hard to to....
    try "apt-get install <package-name>" with this you can easily install KDE or GNOME (i prefer KDE)
    i havent done this yet because iam using kubuntu, but(!) its not hard to find a tutorial for this using howtoforge or googl ... search for "debian kde installation".... i think "apt-get install kde" should do the job (it installs kde and installs every other needed packages as well)....

hope it helps ;)

greetz again

9. xichvi

xichvi New Member

i try this #apt-get install kdm kde-core

but downloading % not goving up i think thet i have not internet conection on VMware server

[​IMG]

10. guawhitehawk

guawhitehawk New Member

the vmware-tools arent your problem - you havent configured your network yet ;)
    1. check vmware ethernet card of your virtual machine -> is it "bridged" "nat" or "host-only"?
    2. if its bridged you should give your debian an ip of your subnet.

first type "ifconfig" as root or "/sbin/ifconfig" as another user to see some output. there you may find a device called "eth0"

here is my ifconfig of my home server (i have two ethernet cards -> eth0 and eth1 and a bridge which i left here)

normally you have also a ip-addr: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx given in the ethX entry....

to edit the settings follow me....

here its getting a little harder to do -> "nano /etc/network/interfaces" opens the file within the editor "nano" which i prefer instead of "vim".

a normal entry for eth0 looks like this: ("auto eth0" or "allow-hotplug eth0" you know the difference)
    <- after this do "Strg+O" or Ctrl+O (Control O), Enter, Ctrl+X to save and exit - then type "/etc/init.d/networking restart" or reboot machine...after doing so, check ifconfig again or try "ping howtoforge.net" and see if you get an answer. For this solution you need a "bridged" Ethernet device attached to your VM (Virtual machine).

if you have a bridged one but static ips you need the following "interfaces" entry

Change the values apropiate to your network/check free IPs....

then edit "/etc/resolv.conf" and type in the first line "nameserver 208.67.222.222" and save&exit

then restart network/reboot again and check ping again.....

hope it helps you - i need more information about your network and VM-Configuration to help you more detailed!

greetz

11. xichvi

xichvi New Member

i have bridged connection but i can change it for nat or host-only

for bridged connection when i type nano /etc/network/interfaces shows

[​IMG]

my ip addres is static

this is VMnet1

[​IMG]

and this VMnet8

[​IMG]

and now i trying to change debian configuration :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  12. xichvi

xichvi New Member

I have configured my server of course guawhitehawk help me to done this task

server works great in my localhost, now i wont to connect to my server from global and how to do i dont know. can samebody help me??? :rolleyes:

i runing my linux on VMware server and my os is Windows xp

Last edited: May 14, 2009