DNS problems

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by gjvblack, May 16, 2009.

1. gjvblack

gjvblack New Member

Im trying to point mydomain.com to my home based server.

I used the ubuntu 8.10 installation with ispconfig 2 and it worked out fine now im trying to setup my own name servers such as ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com. My current domain is registered at name.com and i have a static ip for my server. Is there anyone that can tell me what to do?

I can access server.mydomain.com locally but i want to add the domain so it can be viewed everywhere. any help please?

2. estebanmora

estebanmora New Member

This is how I did it

Hi,

Lets say your fixed IP is 1.2.3.4, that you're going to use it as your DNS too and that your domain is example.com. I did it with Godaddy, but I think you can figure it out how to do it with other registrar. First you have to edit the records of the domain creating two new A Records, like these:

ns1 with the IP 1.2.3.4
    ns2 with the IP 1.2.3.4

Then, you have to create two new hosts, like these:

ns1.example.com with the IP 1.2.3.4
    ns2.example.com with the IP 1.2.3.4

Save the records for the domain. You have to wait for a while fot the server to update the records and propagate. Type dig ns1.example.com in your linux box and when you receive ANSWER: 1, you made it. Sometimes it can take hours. You have to be patient. You can type ping ns1.example.com and see if your server responds. If it does, great!

Lets say you have a second domain, call it example2.com. Change the nameservers of the domain with ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com. If you plan to use example.com also in your server, change the nameservers to ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com.

In ISPConfig, go to Management > Server > Settings, set the IP address to the fixed IP address, the one your ISP gave to you. If you use your local network IP, the domain will only resolve within your network. Then go to the DNS tab and type ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com in the Default NS1 and NS2.

Then, go to DNS Manager and create a New Master. Domain SOA: example.com and as IP use 1.2.3.4 (the one your ISP gave you). Check that in the Options tab the Namerserver 1 & 2 are already there and in the Records tab create a new A Record for www with your fixed IP, another A Record for mail also with the fixed IP, and a new MX Record just with mail.example.com.

Then, just create the new site in the ISP Manager. To check if everything is ok, I use http://www.dnstools.com and check if my domain is resolving in the fixed IP instead my local network IP.

Good luck.

3. gjvblack

gjvblack New Member

Thank you very much i will try what you said, many many thanks