Compile Kernel 2.6 under Debian Sarge

Discussion in 'Kernel Questions' started by falko, Apr 21, 2005.

1. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

/etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst look ok...

2. Flip

Flip New Member

Ok I thinks thats ok then. You don't have any onther idea's?:confused:

3. falko

Not really...

4. Flip

Flip New Member

OK, thats not so nice than. Could the problem been solved if I give you acces to my server? Hopefully you find something;(

5. falko

This would be professional support then, and I'd have to charge you for that. If you're interested, please PM me.

6. Flip

Flip New Member

No, than I'm not interested. Thanks anyway

7. Layn

Layn New Member

Hello Flip,
    Have you add support for your file system? and ide support, i think you you have a problem with something about disc (ide, filesystem...)
    If you add this support as module, then you can to put this modules into the /etc/mkinitrd/modules.

...Layn.

8. Flip

Flip New Member

I don't know exactly

9. falko

You can check the kernel config file in /boot to see what is enabled and what isn't.

10. Flip

Flip New Member

11. falko

And which file system do you use? Please post your /etc/fstab here.

12. Flip

Flip New Member

13. falko

So you're using ext3, and ext3 is enabled as a module in your kernel.
    Did you create a ramdisk or put the ext3 driver into /etc/mkinitrd/modules, as Layn suggested?

14. Wraithfire

Wraithfire New Member

Ok so I've been following this post now for about 5 days or so i guess. I seem to be having the exact same problem that Flip is. Following your initial instructions back at top, i finished with the same error message as Flip and i noticed as you pointed out falko that the initrd line was missing from /boot/grub/menu.lst So after editing that, i rebooted and got an error of unable to mount root unknown block (3,1) instead of (0,0). So it seems that maybe Layn is correct about the ext3 driver since i also enabled ext3 support in the make menuconfig. So how do I go about adding the ext3 driver into /etc/mkinitrd/modules file? Also, if i followed your instructions exactly falko, would that have created a ramdisk?

15. falko

Can you post the output of
    Code:
    updatedb
    locate ext | grep -i "/lib"
    ?

Yes, that's right.

16. Wraithfire

Wraithfire New Member

OMFG I am such a noob :(
    I got the system to boot up fine following your directions, I added ext3 to /etc/mkinitrd/modules. I had noticed from one of your earlier posts that the initrd line was missing from /boot/grub/menu.lst for Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.16 Default. So what i was doing was adding initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.16 to that section for Default and Default (Recovery). Then I just now noticed that /boot/initrd.img-2.6.16 was already on Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.16 a little bit farther down in the file. The difference between the 2 is that the second is not (Default), and they are listed the same way in the boot menu. So i left the initrd line out of the (Default) section, selected that at boot up menu and it loaded up great, version 2.6.16 So I guess I was pointing grub to a different kernel image then i should have?

17. sbovisjb1

sbovisjb1 Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hmmm....:)

Yes i quite agree...
    also if you want to install custom dependincies, just create files(in the apt-get shell directory)that describes the location and the keys of updates... that way when ever you want to update anything you can have the files you want.

18. chief_officer

chief_officer New Member

Hello,

I tried to update my kernel to 2.6.16.1 yesterday. I have downloaded the kernel to /usr/src and untar'ed it and then finished the menuconfig. When I typed

Code:
    /usr/src/linux.2.6.16.1#make-kpkg clean

I get the following error message:

Code:
    make:*** No rule to make target `kpkg-clean'. Stop.

Meantime, when I type

Code:
    /usr/src/linux.2.6.16.1# fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --revision=custom.1.0 kernel-image-2.6.16.1-custom_1.0.deb

I get the following error message:

Code:
    Error: Unknown target kernel-image-2.6.16.1-custom_1.0.deb use --targets to display help on valid targets
    I am following your tutorials from the following to update my kernel:
    http://www.falkotimme.com/howtos/debian_kernel2.6_compile/index.php
    http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21

and also from official debian site:
    http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/i386/ch08s05.html.en

I did a fresh install of Debian Sarge on my Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 [didn't do dist-upgrade]. And yes, I have never compiled a kernel before.

Regards,
    Chief

19. falko

20. coolvik

coolvik New Member

Hi,

thanks for the guide!

I've downloaded the 2.6.16.1 kernel and made the configuration.

Everything seems to work fine until I boot the system with the new kernel. It hangs almost at the end.

I've a Dual Xenon EM64t system. And thats why I want to use this later kernel version, becouse the regualr 2.6.8 em64t smp kernels don't work either.

Anyone with experiences in this?