RE: VMware Server 2 installed on Ubuntu 9.04

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by kbudha, May 28, 2009.

1. kbudha

kbudha New Member

Just trying to get an idea of the memory and processor usage of vmware server 2. Have not come across any docs on the subject. Anyone have some average load stats they can share?

Running P4 3Ghz (single core, 32 bit) with 3 Gb ddr2 (have 4 Gb installed but only reading 3).

Can my system handle it?????

Tired of dual boot.
    Want an Ubuntu system with XP vm that can run specialties not available in linux (rosetta stone, halo 1, anime studio, mediacoder, MS VS C++).

Just trying to understand my best options. Feel vmware is best choice but on budget, so its either Server or ESX 3.5 (4.0 only for 64 bit).

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I don't have any benchmarks, but your hardware specs look good. But I think instead of VMware Server 2 I'd rather use VirtualBox.

3. kbudha

kbudha New Member

From reliable sources

Virtualbox can't play halo. From reliable sources.
    I'm googling it though for confirmation since virtualbox was made for ubuntu and is probably even less a load burden.

Quite new to linux. Running a dual hd system. Have Ubuntu on C: (excuse me sda).

Planning on using sdb (D:) for my virtual disk image space. (Originally had XP on C: Ubuntu on D: in dual boot fashion with grub)

What's up with having to acquire write permission on sdb? How do I go about this?

If you could link me to possibly an older tutorial of yours (no doubt just as great) I would build monuments of your visage.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You'd have to format sdb with fdisk...
    Code:
    fdisk /dev/sdb
    ... and then mount the new partition(s) on sdb. Take a look at
    Code:
    man mount