Make all website directories writable (by default)

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mgibson, Apr 22, 2009.

1. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Any errors in the log files from apache or the syslog? Also check the user_beancounters, most likely you hit any limits that causes these problems.

I'am useing openvz for several servers and ispconfig 3 + several cms systems work fin. As proxmox uses openvz as virtualisation system too, it should work.

2. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

Nothing in Apache or Syslog files.
    I found this in my brand new website logs...

[Fri Jun 05 19:00:16 2009] [error] [client 62.78.242.70] File does not exist: /var/www/clients/client1/web1/web/index.php
    [Fri Jun 05 19:35:37 2009] [error] [client 62.78.242.70] (13)Permission denied: file permissions deny server access: /var/www/clients/client1/web1/web/administrator/components/com_extplorer/images/eXtplorer.gif, referer: http://samimattila.com/administrator/index.php

To fix the perms I did the usual chmod's on files/folders and tmp folder.
    It seems that everytime something 'new' is installed (like eXtplorer) new files are installed with insufficient permission and I have to manually fix the perms afterwards.

I'm not sure how to check the 'user_beancounters' in Proxmox/OpenVZ

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  3. till

IN ISPCOnfig 3 you dont have to change any permissions for Joomla as long as you used the correct user to install it (the admin user of the website) or uploaded it with FTP.

cat /proc/user_beancounters

4. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

That could be it.
    Since the su command does not seem to work in the Container I have always used root to install Joomla.

Sam

5. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

It looks like every time a user uploads a picture it gets minimal (rw) permissions. Then I have to manually give read permissions to it.

drwxr-xr-x 2 web4 client2 4.0K 2009-06-10 08:07 .
    drwxr-xr-x 6 web4 client2 4.0K 2009-06-10 08:03 ..
    -rw-r--r-- 1 web4 client2 2.2K 2009-06-10 08:03 2160_80.jpg
    -rw------- 1 web4 client2 2.3K 2009-06-10 08:07 2161_80.jpg

6. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

Ok. Looks like it's in the suPHP.
    If I change to fast-CGI uploads work fine.

Sam

7. aethereum

aethereum New Member

I have a similar issue

I completed the Perfect Server Setup using SuSE 11.1 with no errors, I create a Client User, a Website, a Database and FTP user.

I uploaded the files by FTP with the user I create for it on ISPC3 and installed Joomla and all was fine until I try to change the joomla's global configuration.

A new conf file is generated and named "configuration.1 instead configuration.php I tried to chmod "configuration.php" but I get 550 error "Operation not permitted"

The site is running php cgi ssi fast-cgi+suExec

Thanks in advance for the help.

8. till

Take a look at the error log of the website to get the detailed error message.

9. aethereum

aethereum New Member

Ok, but where is that? Just found the System Log under Monitor section of ISPC

10. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

It's in the log subdirectory of the web site (e.g. /var/www/www.example.com/log).