Postfix Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by toolswizard, Jun 28, 2009.

1. toolswizard

toolswizard Member

I am running version 2.2.29 of ISP Config.
    I followed the instructions for The Perfect Server using Ubuntu 8.4 LTS server.
    I thought postfix was working, but I was not really using it. I have new IP's and a new router. Configuring it to forward to my server and testing, I found that my email was not working.

My host is set up independant as hostdomain.com. I have 3 virtual domains on this server virtual1.com virtual2.com virtual3.com.

When I send an email to [email protected], I get a 550 error that states [email protected] does not exist.

I looked at the virtusertable and for every virtual domain there exists a joesmith and a web2_joe, but it appears to only look for the hostdomain.com.

The email is being rewrittin as the [email protected] which ther is no user.

What am I missing?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This is absoluetely ok as web2_joe is a system user, so it does exist in /etc/passwd and not the virtusertable. The problem is most likely that hostdomain.com is not in the local-host-names file. Please add it at the end of the file and restart postfix.

3. toolswizard

toolswizard Member

Thank you Till,

I looked at the local-host-names I saw many variations of hostdomain.com in the file..... but not one just for the hostdomain.com. I added it to the bottom of the file and the email was received.

Now on to the next problem... only 2 of the 3 domains are making it to the server. so now I need to find the routing problems.

Thanks again.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

What is not working (web, mail?) and for which domain? The domain of the host or a virtual domain?

5. toolswizard

toolswizard Member

Till,

I have most everything working now, except I have one problem.

Out of three domains on a server, one will not rebuild the virtusertable. I have three hosts on each domain, blank, www, and mail. Only the www shows for the one domain. I have tried making changes, even to the email name, but the old one stays in the virtusertable.

Help pleas!