Using Squirrellmail with Postfix+Cyrus IMAP

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by gugabaga, Feb 26, 2006.

1. gugabaga

gugabaga New Member

Hi all,

I have installed Postfix + Cyrus IMAP + SASL. I can send and receive mail via SMTP, POP/IMAP by using any client like Outllok, Mozilla, etc.

Now I want to give webmai access. For this I thought of using Squirrelmail. But after thorough searching I came up blank. All the tutorials I found talked of Postfix + Courier IMAP.

Is it possible to use Squirrel with Cyrus?

If so can anyone point me to a suitable tutorial.

Thanks in advance

Regards

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Squirrelmail works with any imap server. From the view of squirrelmail there is no difference between cyrus and courier imap, as the imap commands are the same.

Normally you only have to install the squirrelmail package from your linux distribution.

3. gugabaga

gugabaga New Member

Thanks till for you prompt reply.

What you are saying is that Squirrelmail configuration which aplies for Courier will also aply for Cyrus. So I can just follow any tutorial?

On another point - Having setup Postfix + Cyrus IMAP + SASL, i was under the impression that I wont have to create any users on the Linux OS. New mail boxes will be created through cyrus admin will be accessible anyways.

But even after creating new mailboxes in Cyrus I am not being able to send/receive mail on those usernames which are not part of the Linux OS. Also the password for each user has to be the one supplied to the OS and not to SASL. Please comment

Thanks & Regards

4. manga

manga New Member

did u find any links on squirrell mail configurations? I have just install RH9 and was hoping that i would find it somewhere on the net to no avail

5. manga

manga New Member

with sendmail do i need to install any other package

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You must also have installed a POP3 and IMAP daemon, like Courier for example.

7. manga

manga New Member

I have installed IPOP3 on the server and its up. It's a RH9 machine what IMAP daemon comes with this package if I may ask.
    Is dovecot an IMAP package?

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

IPOP3 has no Imap package.

Dovecot is an IMAP package. Dovecot uses Maildir and not Mbox for mail storage, so you might have to reconfigure sendmail to use Maildir.