catchall + forward

Discussion in 'General' started by newz2000, Jun 10, 2009.

1. newz2000

newz2000 New Member

Hello, in ISPConfig 2 I can create an email user who is the catchall for a domain and then forward all of that email to an external mailbox. (see attached image to illustrate what I mean)

How can I do this on ISPConfig 3? I've fiddled with a few different settings and searched through the forums here and can't find a solution.

Attached Files:

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig 3 is a completely different software then ISPConfig 2, so it has different features. In ISPConfig 3 you can set a catchall only for a mailbox.

3. newz2000

newz2000 New Member

Do you know if this is a planned feature or if there's a way to manipulate the backend to achieve the desired results?

By the way, "...is a completely different software ... it has different features..." is a BS statement. It has the same name, most of the same features, the only apparent change is a version number increase. A more valid reply would be one of these:

• That feature has been deprecated in this version, it will no longer be supported because
      1. it's not technically possible (technical limitation) or
      2. users didn't like that feature and wanted us to remove it (design decision)
    • That feature is not yet ready but is in progress or planned for a future version

Either of these answers would have changed the reply from a snide statement (what, you think you get the same features in the new version?) into an informative response.

4. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

First of all I think it is a very, very bad idea setting up a catchall forward address!
    I think not offering this feature is a good way to prevent people using it ;)
    If you set up a catchall forward address, all the mails will be treated as coming from your server. So if someone sends a lot of spam to that address and you forward this to - let's say - googlemail, your server will be blocked sooner or later due to spamming! CBL listing would be a matter of time, too.

Second:
    ISPC3 is indeed a completely different software. None of the codes of ISPC2 was used, it was written from scratch.
    It uses a lot of different techniques to achieve the features.
    Would you talk of Confixx and Plesk being the same software in different versions only because they offer similar features?

5. davew

davew New Member

It can be done in 3, just needs to be approached in a different way...

Create a dummy mailbox for the domain.
    Create a catchall for the domain that points at that dummy mailbox
    Create a forward for that dummy mailbox that goes to the destination email

It may seem a bit more involved than ISPConfig 2 but it works well if you really can't drop the catchall.

6. jluros

jluros New Member

Does that mean that all messages for the dummy user would be stored on the server? Or because it is also a forward, they are forwarded?

One might end up with a very full catchall user mailbox if it stores the forwarded message on the server.

Any pointers on how to do a true "forward" as newz2000 asked would be greatly appreciated. The dummy user method will work, but I'm concerned about the mailbox taking up a lot of disk space unnecessarily.

7. till

If you want to forward all incoming emails of a domain, just add a transport.

8. davew

davew New Member

The messages are simply forwarded, not stored on the server.

9. tylerishappy

tylerishappy New Member

I have tried this method but it does not work. I get the attached message.

Steps:

Create email address for domain - [email protected]
    Create catch all for email - [email protected]
    Create forward for email to alt email - [email protected] ->[email protected]

receive error message: There is already a mailbox with this email address

Attached Files:

10. jrklein

jrklein New Member

Catchall + Forward, ISPconfig 3 + Dovecot + Sieve

We also required a catchall + remote forward solution for Dovecot/Sieve on ISPconfig 3. I found that these steps work perfectly.

1. Create a new mailbox for the domain (e.g.: [email protected]).
    2. Create a catchall for the domain that points to new mailbox.
    3. Edit mailbox and go to the "Custom Rules" tab. Enter these two rules:

redirect "[email protected]";
    stop;

If I use these rules, an email sent to "[email protected]" is redirected to "[email protected]" and discarded. No messages are saved in the catchall mailbox! You MUST include the "stop;" line or Sieve will NOT discard the message after forwarding.

Suppose your catchall mailbox is "[email protected]". Login to the mail server that hosts the mailbox and type the following to view the entire Sieve filter for this mailbox.

cat /var/vmail/domain.org/catchall/.sieve

Contents of the Sieve filter file are as follows.

require ["fileinto", "regex", "date", "relational", "vacation"];
    redirect "[email protected]";
    stop;

keep;

Notice the "keep;" line added by ISPconfig 3 at the end of the file? If you do not specify "stop;" to terminate the Sieve script, Dovecot will execute the "keep;" command and place a copy of the message in your catchall mailbox.

11. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

so just to make sure I understand this properly, inside ISPCFG3 => Email => Mailbox => Select Mailbox I want redirected => Custom Rules enter this into the box:

I have slightly different requirements, I need to redirect all emails coming into a specific mailbox to somewhere else. I cannot make it a forward instead of a mailbox because I need the login/send ability for it too.

12. till

And thats what the redirect is doing that you posted.

13. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

14. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

works. there seems to have been a delay but it works :)

15. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

Hi Till, this redirect works very well but now I need a "forward" option. Is that somehow implemented? What I mean is that I want the email being forwarded to have the email it was received by as a sender so it won't break SPF/DKIM/dmarc as the redirect one does.

16. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig doesn't do that. You can look at sender rewriting scheme (http://www.openspf.org/SRS) which solves the issue of forwarding breaking SPF, though it doesn't work exactly as what you said you wanted. FWIW, DKIM should not break in forwarding; you can even add additional signing as you forward.

17. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

thanks for clarifying. I had postsrsd running for a while (cannot remember why I stopped using it, might have to look into putting it in palce again). Sorry, my mistake, DKIM doesn't break indeed, SPF seems to do though.

18. wire glitch

wire glitch New Member

You can also make a catchall and manually edit the sql database to make it forward to two email addresses by making the destination [email protected],[email protected] in the mail_forwarding table.

ISPconfig does not allow a direct entry of this through the form to add a catchall. But it will work as needed.