slave DNS

Discussion in 'General' started by wasim, Aug 7, 2009.

1. wasim

wasim New Member

Hi Guys,

I haven't been here in a while I missed this forum. I'll get to the point, godaddy.com requires that you have 2 DNS servers and I guess I can fake a second one but coming from the Windows world in Windows server you're able to pair DNS servers together and just have the slave server synch every half hour or so. My question is: is there a way for ISPConfig to control two BIND servers at once without the need for me to create the same entries twice, once in ISPConfig and once again on the backup DNS.

Thank you,
    Wasim

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, thats what the secondary dns function is for. Just setup a second dns server, install ispconfig on it and then create a secondary dns record for your domain in ispconfig and the server will get the detailed domain data via zone transfer from the master server.

3. wasim

wasim New Member

Thanks Till! You guys are best! I saw the New Slave in the DNS Manager but I imagined I would have to do some major config file surgery in order to get 2 boxes to connect. After searching for couple hours I found this by Falko http://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig_dns_godaddy
    So I went straight to ebay and placed a bid on a box and won it for $150 :D
    I can't wait to get it and install perfect Ubuntu with ISPConfig. HowtoForge is great, Ubuntu for life. Can I make the new box ISPConfig3 and get the slave DNS feature to work or is that not supported?

Thanks!!!!