XEN Question (Ubuntu 8.04 64bit)

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Milleman, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Milleman

Milleman New Member

Hi,

As a newbie, I followed the "How To" http://www.howtoforge.com/high-performance-xen-on-ubuntu-8.04-amd64 on setting up XEN on Ubuntu 8.04 64bit. Everything worked fine, except networking. The guest can't contact the outide world on TCP/IP. Making Ping, shows 100% loss. So what went wrong?

Am I supposed to use a seperate Ethernet card for the Xen guest?

Is there a way to make a bridged network through the same ethernet port as the host is using? Bridging is not good for performance, but is great for testing.

Running:
    Code:
    # xen-create-image
    Gives me this error message:
    Code:
    WARNING
    -------

You appear to have a missing vif-script, or network-script, in the Xen configuration file /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp.

Please fix this and restart Xend, or your guests will not be able to use any networking!

The '--hostname' argument is mandatory.

So, where is the vif or network-script? Did I miss something in the "How To"?

/Mill

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  2. Milleman

Milleman New Member

Solved!

I solved the problem!

By mistake, I entered the same MAC address in the file "/etc/xen/domu1.cfg" as the Ethernet Card on the host were using. Changing it to any other combination, solved the problem. Network is working fine now! :)

Case closed!

3. amina

amina New Member

missing vif-script

hi milleman
    i khow that the issue date back to 2008 ....but i want try my chance

so i have the same probleme as you. the difference is that each dom has an address MAC different from the others.......so what's can be the matter?

thanks in advance

4. Milleman

Milleman New Member

amina,

If you don't receive any replies here, then try the XEN mailing list. The subscribers there probably can help you.

/Mill

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Can you tell us a bit more about your network setup (subnets, etc.)? Can you post the configuration file of one of your domUs?

Do you see any errors when the guest boots?

6. matey

matey New Member

the xen config file is where you setup the virtual nic but still inside of the xen guest machine you have to edit /etc/network/interfaces file make sure eth0 or whatever you are using is being configured to get an IP address there.