not able to send and recieve emails

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by ayad, Aug 4, 2009.

1. ayad

ayad New Member

hi

I have started to work in an email marketing company and i am facing with an issue.
    One of our clients is not able to send and receive emails. Actually we are hosting the clients sub domain and he is not able to send and receive emails from the domain that is hosting it. Rest apart the client is able to send and receive emails normally accept to the mail hosting mail server.
    I have listed the error :

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software. A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed: [email protected] No Such User Here ------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------ ------ The body of the message is 384958 characters long; only the first ------ 106496 or so are included here. Return-path: Received: from pmlive by host2.example.co.nz with local (Exim 4.69) (envelope-from ) id

I have not provided the actually web adress.
    host2.example.co.nz is the server that is hosting the subdomain xyz.co.nz.
    plz help

regards
    Ayad

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Did you create an email account for [email protected] on the server?
    Does the MX record for xyz.co.nz point to the correct server?

3. ayad

ayad New Member

thanks falko

ya the account has already been created, we have also confirmed from the ISP that the newsletter is
    reaching to them (the ISP created a test account and we send a test newsletter n they verified that
    they have recieved it).Apart from MX record can there be any other reason.

4. falko

If the MX record is correct, then there must be something wrong with the way you set up the mail account because it says "[email protected] No Such User Here"...

5. ayad

ayad New Member

we have found that there is some problem with the MX records.
    Thnks for help and suggestion

6. ayad

ayad New Member

Hi there

Does any one have an idea how SPF (sender policy framework) works,
    do we only need to authenticate the IP address from which we are sending emails or there is any thing else involved.
    In our company we send emails from on behalf of our clients to their respective clients, the email address is used of the client itself and not of our company.
    To implement the SPF do we need to authenticate only the IP address from which we are sending the emails or their is something else involved.

thanks

7. falko

8. ayad

ayad New Member

thanx falko

does SPF authentication depend upon the IP adress

9. falko

You can include your server's IP in the SPF record, but it's not necessary if it's already covered by the A or MX record.

10. ayad

ayad New Member

thanks for the reply,

Does that mean i have to specify my domain and subdomain adress only.
    Also as informed earlier our company is in email marketing business, when we send the email from our server (example.com), in the from option we specify the name of our clients domain rather than ours.
    In the sence that although we sent the email from our end, the receiving person sees the clients name in the "from option" not our domain name (example.com).

In this case do we need to define the SPF for each of our clients or just for the domain from which we are sending because in one of the SPF forums i read that SPF also performs the 1st authentiction using "from name".

Plz let me know

11. ayad

ayad New Member

hi do we need any kind of package for implementing the SPF and in which file of DNS do we need to publish the SPF records

12. falko

You need a nameserver, e.g. BIND. The SPF record goes into the zone file of a domain.

13. ayad

ayad New Member

in case i m using a domain just fr sending email, do i still need to install packages for implementing SPF or just make entry in zone file of DNS, I just read some where that in case it is an incoming mail server we need to add SPF packages so that it can check fr the authentication of email,
    as far as outgoing mail server is concerned need to edit only the zone.

is that how it works ?

14. falko

In case of an outgoing mail server, you just need to edit the zone.

15. ayad

ayad New Member

SPF implementation

hi there

In case if we need to implement the SPF on a domain (sending.com) such that we have allowed some other domain (example.com - SPF has already been implemented on example.com) to send emails on the behalf of our domain (sending.com), how to write down the SPF records for that.

Do we need to use the include option for that.

i have tried using this wizard to create SPF record but with no luck

http://old.openspf.org/wizard.html?mydomain=example.com

Please help