CRON JOB never finishes, multiple instances of it.

Discussion in 'General' started by blackout, Aug 14, 2009.

1. blackout

blackout New Member

Hey, I'm running ISP Config on Ubuntu, and it seems that the CRON that runs every minute, never ends, but it DOES start again every minute, so eventually I have 1000 instances in 1000 minutes of this cron task and it crashes my server after it fills the swap up...

anyone know how to resolve this issue?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Can you disable that cron job, kill all running instances of it and then run it manually? Do you get any errors?

3. blackout

blackout New Member

when i tried to disable and run, my shell just froze waiting for it to complete... so same thing

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is a bug in maildirmake that may cause this. Instead of throwing an error message the maildirmake command can freeze under certian circumstances. We added a workaround for this in SVN.

5. blackout

blackout New Member

So what do I do to be able to use ISPConfig again? and this does make sense, because before the server started crashing, i was unable to add another email account, and it was all downhill from there.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Before you update from svn, make a backup of your ispconfig database. Then:

Update ISPConfig from SVN:

1) Install subsversion client, for Ubuntu and debian it is:

apt-get install subversion

2) Run the script:

ispconfig_update.sh

and select SVN as update method.

Warning: It is normally not recommended to update to svn on a production system!! In this case, todays svn revision is identical to what we plan to release as 3.0.1.4 beta 2, so its ok. Tomorrow it might not be ok anymore. So the above solution is just for this special case today and not a general recommendation.

3) kill all ispconfig cron processes and then run the command:

rm -f /usr/local/ispconfig/temp/.ispconfig_lock

to remove the lock file.

7. blackout

blackout New Member

Hey, thanks a lot, I've resolved all my problems with the help of this, and one other post on HowToForge.

Thanks Again.