BackupPC server crash worry

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by kumarullal, Aug 19, 2009.

1. kumarullal

kumarullal New Member

Hi all,
    First of all I am extremely happy with the tutorial by Falko about setting up Backuppc on Debian/Ubuntu server posted here
    Everything is working just fine. The systems are regularly backed up. Now my worry is what if the server crashes or the Hard disk fails/corrupted? What will happen to the backed up data?
    Is there a simple way to address this issue?
    P.S.---> I am a linux newbie, so please if some one can explain in Step by Step fashion (Just the way Falko explains it)
    Thanks in advance

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I suggest that you use RAID1 on the backup server so that the server can continue to work even if there's a hard disk crash.

3. kumarullal

kumarullal New Member

Like always, thanks for you prompt reply falko.
    The problem is that I have installed the Backuppc on a Sheevaplug attached to a 1 TB external USB drive.
    Besides, it may not be feasible if both HD fails on the M/C.
    Is there a way to backup the config and data file of Backuppc elsewhere on the network using rsync, ssh, smb (fstab) crontab or any other method whereby in case of any problems, if I have a fresh install of Backuppc on a new hardware, and restore the config and data files, it would work just fine.
    Assuming this is possible, thenm what files need to be copied, and how if can be restored.
    Thanks in Advance.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can do that with rsync or with BackupPC (on another computer).