Centos 5.3 x86_64 - Pure-FTPD fails to start

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Leftblank, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Leftblank

Leftblank New Member

On my OpenVZ powered 64-bit container, I've completely followed the http://howtoforge.net/perfect-server-centos-5.3-x86_64-ispconfig-3 tutorial. One minor problem occured during the installation though, the error 'FAILED' came up when entering the command /etc/init.d/pure-ftpd start, as suggested on page 5. I continued the set up, hoping it'd be resolved automagically, sadly this wasn't the case.

Right now I've got ISPConfig set up properly, except for the FTP server. Adding FTP users from the front-end works fine, but the actual server just wont start. I can't find any logs in the /var/logs/ dir regarding pure-ftpd, so I'm a bit clueless on what's the exact problem here.

I did notice that the file /etc/pure-ftpd/pureftpd-mysql.conf lacked a MySQL password, so I manually added it, but adding it did not resolve the problem either. I'd love to get ISPConfig running properly, so thanks in advance for your suggestions.

2. Franz

Franz Member

you have to manualy compile pure-ftp (--without-capabilities option) and replaced debian default binaries.

this is step by step:
    download pure-ftpd and extract tarball
    then
    Code:
    ./configure --prefix=/usr/sbin --without-capabilities --with-virtualchroot --with-mysql --with-pam --with-altlog --with-wrapper --with-mysql --with-cookie --with-throttling --with-ratios --with-paranoidmsg --with-quotas

make
    make install

and finally
    Code:
    cp /usr/sbin/pure-ftpd /usr/sbin/pure-ftpd-mysql

this helped for me

3. Leftblank

Leftblank New Member

Thanks a lot for your fast reply, however, I got a new problem; the ./configure complains that libmysqlclient is missing, which is pretty odd since I have MySQL 5 server and -client installed. Using Google I could only find very old versions of libmysqlclient, such this one built for CentOS 4. What would be the proper way to get a hold of this one?

4. Franz

Franz Member

this is install for debian, maybe help you.

in deian you have to install this package: libmysqlclient15-dev
    I don't know for red hat / centos :(
    pure-ftp-mysql debian

5. Leftblank

Leftblank New Member

I managed to solve this with some trouble. I downloaded the SRPM (source RPM) for pure-ftpd, and using the guide here I changed the configure option to 'without-capabilities' and 'with-mysql', after that pure-ftpd installs fine and is running as well. Haven't managed to actually login on it though, but at least it's running ;)

6. 2020media

2020media New Member

I found installing mysql-devel worked for me

yum install mysql-devel